HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 9:23 PM

Buffalo 2024 Part 1 (thru August)

Buffalo 2024 - Part 1

Images in and around my city from January 2024 through the beginning of August 2024, in chronological order.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 10:14 PM

Buffalo remains an underrated city, but your photo posts may change that! Good job.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 11:05 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Thanks! Is the ice rink on a river?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Thanks! Is the ice rink on a river?
It is a restored and recreated portion of the Erie Canal terminus in downtown Buffalo. With the exception of the Commercial Slip (see photo where the canal boat is parked) the ice rink area is shallow and can only host small paddle boats in the summers, and is then frozen over in the winter to allow ice skating. This area had been built over during the 20th Century, covering the original canals, until the creation of the current Canalside area began in the 2010s.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 3:42 AM

I like the photo of the swan boats on the lake!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 2:59 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
It is a restored and recreated portion of the Erie Canal terminus in downtown Buffalo. With the exception of the Commercial Slip (see photo where the canal boat is parked) the ice rink area is shallow and can only host small paddle boats in the summers, and is then frozen over in the winter to allow ice skating. This area had been built over during the 20th Century, covering the original canals, until the creation of the current Canalside area began in the 2010s.
A wonderful trip through the seasons in these great photos!

On a few different occasions, my parents rented one of the canal boats in Rochester. They had a fantastic time traveling the Erie Canal.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 8:26 AM

good laid-back vibes

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 1:54 PM

Shark lady

Remains one of the top modern art sculptures I have ever seen!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 3:38 PM
Hong Kong

Always enjoy seeing a Buffalo thread. They've got some incredible architecture to offset the brutal winters!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 7:33 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1999

Criminally underrated.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 8:31 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Excellent set of pics - need to make my way up there sometime. I know Cleveland's winters can be rough (not as much lately with climate change) but I have NO idea how you all manage that!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 5:55 AM

I didn't know there were any waterfalls in Buffalo! Cool.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2024, 4:26 PM

Nice pictures!

Buffalo looks good in snow. I might have to come up in the winter some time. I just wouldn't want more than a few days of snow.

I see some Tonawanda and North Tonawanda in there. Is that first picture of the houses along the river of Grand Island?

Where is that waterfall located?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2024, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures!

Buffalo looks good in snow. I might have to come up in the winter some time. I just wouldn't want more than a few days of snow.

I see some Tonawanda and North Tonawanda in there. Is that first picture of the houses along the river of Grand Island?

Where is that waterfall located?
The last couple of years we only had a few days of snow on the ground at a time, even after the largest storms, as these have been some of the warmest winters here ever. February and March were ridiculously warm. It was only a couple of weeks after the image of the ice fishing tents was taken that the following picture of a snow- and ice-free Delaware Park was captured (February 8th).

Yes, those homes are on Grand Island, right across the river from Niawanda Park in Tonawanda. The juncture of the Tonawanda Creek and the Niagara River is about 4-1/2 miles north of Buffalo city limits. Tonawanda Harbor is a very popular stop for boat travelers following the Erie Canal.

The waterfall is Glen Falls in Williamsville, where Ellicott Creek drops 27 feet over the Onondaga Escarpment. Ellicott Creek meanders northwest and joins Tonawanda Creek near the Niagara River. Williamsville is about 3-1/2 miles east of Buffalo city limits and centered along Main Street.

Last edited by benp; Aug 11, 2024 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
The last couple of years we only had a few days of snow on the ground at a time, even after the largest storms, as these have been some of the warmest winters here ever. February and March were ridiculously warm. It was only a couple of weeks after the image of the ice fishing tents was taken that the following picture of a snow- and ice-free Delaware Park was captured (February 8th).

Yes, those homes are on Grand Island, right across the river from Niawanda Park in Tonawanda. The juncture of the Tonawanda Creek and the Niagara River is about 4-1/2 miles north of Buffalo city limits. Tonawanda Harbor is a very popular stop for boat travelers following the Erie Canal.

The waterfall is Glen Falls in Williamsville, where Ellicott Creek drops 27 feet over the Onondaga Escarpment. Ellicott Creek meanders northwest and joins Tonawanda Creek near the Niagara River. Williamsville is about 3-1/2 miles east of Buffalo city limits and centered along Main Street.
Thanks. I always like seeing the houses along the river on Grand Island. I'm surprised that there's so few historic houses along the river in Grand Island; most are very average houses, and it blows my mind that a regular middle-class person could have a waterfront house in a significant metro area.

The Tonawandas are a nice place for the river. My mom's cousin has a waterfront restaurant on Tonawanda Island.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Thanks. I always like seeing the houses along the river on Grand Island. I'm surprised that there's so few historic houses along the river in Grand Island; most are very average houses, and it blows my mind that a regular middle-class person could have a waterfront house in a significant metro area.

The Tonawandas are a nice place for the river. My mom's cousin has a waterfront restaurant on Tonawanda Island.
There were no bridges to Grand Island until 1935, so before then the island was mainly farms with some summer resort areas accessible by ferry. The few large estates on the island were summer homes of the very wealthy. By WW1, as automobiles allowed easier travel on the US side and Canadian mainland, recreational use on Grand Island fell out of favor. The large estates also eventually gave way to become Beaver Island State Park after the Depression, and none of the original large homes remain.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 5:27 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
I didn't know there were any waterfalls in Buffalo! Cool.
Erie County has at least 2 that I know of.
Glen Falls that benp pictured in Williamsville that's a 27 foot drop, and Akron Falls that's a 40 foot drop.
https://www3.erie.gov/parks/akron-falls

And of course the most famous Niagara Falls with a ~167 foot drop are only 25 minutes/20 miles from downtown Buffalo.

As others have said Buffalo is criminally underrated and benp takes excellent photos documenting the city/region's resurgence.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Erie County has at least 2 that I know of.
Glen Falls that benp pictured in Williamsville that's a 27 foot drop, and Akron Falls that's a 40 foot drop.
https://www3.erie.gov/parks/akron-falls

And of course the most famous Niagara Falls with a ~167 foot drop are only 25 minutes/20 miles from downtown Buffalo.

As others have said Buffalo is criminally underrated and benp takes excellent photos documenting the city/region's resurgence.
Not my pictures but there are quite a few falls around the Metro area:
Buttermilk Falls
Akron Falls
Eternal Flame Falls
South Emery Falls
Zoar Valley

And dozens more within an hour drive of downtown but outside the Metro area, such as along the Niagara Escarpment in Southern Ontario and New York, plus dramatic falls along the Genesee River at Letchworth State Park and in downtown Rochester.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 8:30 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Lovely..

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 8:35 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

feel like Buffalo (fine name) doesn't really suit the city though - a native-derived name seems like a better fit in the vein of Chicago or Milwaukee.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos