HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 6:57 PM

Arrow Pacific Coliseum Renovations | Completed

Posted by miniaturesnickers:

the progress of some of the work that's been done at the Pacific Coliseum. Note these were taken in April, so chances are they've done more since.

Most of the technical work seems to be done, now it's just a question of aesthetics. Note that VANOC's website now lists the completion date for the Coliseum as Summer 2008, where before it was December 2007.

Appears they're going for a navy blue colour scheme for the ceiling. Note that some parts have been painted while others haven't.

Work apparently being done behind the curtain. I snuck peek but couldn't see much.

The new concession stands in operation. Very slick, a step up on GM Place even.

New elevator. At the time the exterior housing had yet to be completely covered, but most of it was the same stainless steel seen here.

Annnd the concessions closed. Weird juxtaposition between the old paint job and the new.

The washrooms were also quite nice, though for obvious reasons I didn't take photos. All in all, I'd say some easy concourse renos and some exterior work and it'll be good to go for 2010.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 6:58 PM

The $23-million we're spending on upgrades for the Coliseum are sure going a long way, thx for the pics min.

- cosmetic renovations
- new washrooms
- new seats
- ice plant improvements
- new rink slab
- new concession space
- building heating ventilation air conditioning (HVAC) and dehumidification systems

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 1:38 AM

Thanks for the update. The impact of changes really is proof that 23 million can go a long way for aesthetic upgrades.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 1:46 AM

are they doing anything on the outside? it's pretty fugly i must say.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 1:54 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Nice.

I didn't see any of that when I was there for Iron Maiden, but maybe I was just in a different area.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 1:55 AM
Vancouver Moderator

It looks pretty good actually - nothing outstanding, but nice and clean. It's nice to see minor facelifts to what would be an important venue during the olympics. It looks very different from the last time I saw it when I was at PNE.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bils View Post
are they doing anything on the outside? it's pretty fugly i must say.
I would assume they would be, though I can't say for sure just what they might do. I'd hope they'd at least replace the stairwells and do something with the part of the suites that extends to the exterior.

In a perfect world they'd do something with that overhang over the entrance as well as the plaza area although I'm less optimistic about that.

Bear in mind that these were taken in April, so I assume they'll get cracking on the remaining work soon (if they haven't already). As far as I know all the technical stuff has been finished since 07, ie the ice slab/HVAC system etc. but at the time I went there, the concourse looked exactly the same as it always had. I assume they'll just be painting it and improve the lighting, with new TVs and signage to come as part of the Olympic overlay.

I'm guessing because they were forced to work around events that that was a large reason for the deadline being pushed back from Dec 07 to Summer 08. Now that the Giants season is finished I'd expect they'll get things happening pretty quick so it's ready pre-PNE, and definitely before the Short Track that'll be there in Oct.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 2:47 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Source: Vancouver 2010

It would be nice if they could have graphic panels or like 3M wrap overtop of top of the gray concrete rectangle thingies XP Similar to the ones at Metrotown & BC Place.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 3:12 AM

^ that's what I had in mind too.....it would be a huge cheap temporary cosmetic improvement for the exterior, and I'm sure they could light up the wrap at night.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 3:30 AM
BANNED

does anyone know how much a 3M wrap would cost for a building the size of PC?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo88 View Post
does anyone know how much a 3M wrap would cost for a building the size of PC?
Not sure, but it can't be cheap. Definitely several hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 3:40 AM

^^^

That would likely be covered under the operating cost, so all sponsorship money anyway, which is a plus.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 3:41 AM
BANNED

well it can't be THAT much, cause there are so many buildings that get covered in graphics while they're under construction...many of them (particularly older buildings that are being renovated) are graphics of what the building will look like when done, i dont think they'd do that if it was outrageously expensive....still i'd love it if they were able to cover PC completely, its quite the eyesore from outside...not as bad as madison square gardens in nyc, but pretty close...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 3:48 AM

For a building with the circumference and height of Pacific Coliseum, I would think it would cost at least $100,000.

I think/hope they will wrap it, with VANOC signing a contract last summer with 3M to be the supplier of building and vehicle wraps.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 3:53 AM

As far as the ceiling goes, they MUST remove the yellow insulation. I'd be cool if they keep the hardwood seen in the photos, but would love it if they went with a metallic look, in keeping with the blue/stainless steel thing they've got going on throughout the rest of the renovated building. Something along the lines of this, from Citi Field, under construction in New York:

Photo c/o Mets.com/Baseball Fever

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 3:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
For a building with the circumference and height of Pacific Coliseum, I would think it would cost at least $100,000.

I think/hope they will wrap it, with VANOC signing a contract last summer with 3M to be the supplier of building and vehicle wraps.
Yeah I was thinking around 100 thousand, which may sound like alot, but compare that with an actual renovation of the exterior, which I love, but isn't really needed.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 3:59 AM

^ i think the yellow insulation is more for acoustics....so that you don't get that BC Place Stadium "echo echo echo echo....".

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 5:11 AM

its looking good!! i like what i see soo far thanks for the update

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 6:44 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
^ i think the yellow insulation is more for acoustics....so that you don't get that BC Place Stadium "echo echo echo echo....".
Yeah, you have to keep it. Pacific Coliseum's sound actually isn't that bad, but GM Place is better.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I'd hope then they'd at least replace it with something a little less... gross, if not finding another way to deal with the echo.

I assume that's what those numerous little foam prism-shaped things all around the building are for.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver