HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 10:38 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton - my lower rossdale idea

Ok...so i have been working on a comprehensive plan for the lower rossdale area for some time now and while this is the "informal" plan...i am working on a full fledged ARP. In my opinion, this area is the most underused, undervalued, underserving area in this city. It has such HUGE potential for being a gathering place, a place for artists, shops, residences of differing types, museums, galleries, historical sites, parks, and play areas.

Green = residential (including townhouses, towers, lofts, and work/live dwellings.

Blue = street fronting retail with some 2nd storey office potential

Pink = public space/historical/museum/market/community centre

Heights would range from 2-18 storeys with an emphasis on 4-10 storeys to allow for required critical mass while maintaining views, sunlight, and street level feel.

Salmon = stone/brick pedestrian walk ways

new roadsways would have 60 degree angled parking with wide sidewalks allowing art and patio potentials. They would terminate with round abouts to encourage a slowing of traffic and focus on the pedestrian.

The current surface parking for telus field would be contained UG on the same lot south of the field with a secure ug level for residents. There would be some UG for the larger towers and a commercial UG parking for shoppers/visitors, but generally speaking the lower height residences would not have parking attributed to it for various and obvious reasons.

with building types and styles along this line:

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 10:46 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Can this not be in the construction thread!? WTF?!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 10:48 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
it was meant to be a separate topic for discuss and not to be caught up with the rest of the "real" stuff.

lay off

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 8:02 AM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post

WTF is that comment for?

Coldrsx, we should have a beer over this one..

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 7:18 PM
Community Guy

^okey dokey

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 11:00 PM
Community Guy

working on 3d...here it is thus far:

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 11:16 PM
Majestic

Cold, could you post a map showing the wider area and maybe put some labels on what is around it? I'm afraid I'm not as familiar with my birth city's layout as I should be. The one in your first post is good for the immediate area but I can't get quite a clear sense of context.

Flickr

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 11:18 PM
Community Guy

downtown is directly below this (north) and the river top (south) with the legislature grounds (west) of it and baseball field and housing (east)

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 11:20 PM

Awesome idea, Cold! Would be great to see Rossdale develop like this... a new urban village at the doorstep of downtown.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 11:22 PM
Community Guy

basically the ideal picture of why i feel this area should be...as well as a few others.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 11:22 PM
Majestic

Ahhhh, okay thx. That road at the bottom of the pic looks like it could be a significant barrier to the rest of downtown. Any thoughts on that?

Flickr

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 11:24 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Ahhhh, okay thx. That road at the bottom of the pic looks like it could be a significant barrier to the rest of downtown. Any thoughts on that?
it is 97ave...6 lanes and busy, but i like it acting as a barrier because it already is for the hill up to downtown really starts there and there is no interaction any way.

i like the idea of making this "its own" and a community on to itself while being accessible and welcoming through design, sidewalks, entrances and the like.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 11:34 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Here's a good idea esp. for non-Edmontonians where the area is that Coldrsx's talking about:

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 11:35 PM
Community Guy

^thanks CC....you can use the baseball diamond for referencing.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 12:58 AM
someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonchuck View Post

WTF is that comment for?
probably in reference to this thread http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=142432

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 2:02 AM

Cold, great idea. As someone who has lived in Rossdale on two seperate occasions I think this would be an amazing change in an already great neighborhood.

My concern would be getting the residents of Rossdale to ever even consider this change. It would be a war I would think, especially with the political will and influential people who currently reside there.

As a none Rossdaleian though, I would be in total support of your idea!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 2:57 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

This actually sounds sensible. It's not overbearingly dense.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 3:57 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Cold, great idea. As someone who has lived in Rossdale on two seperate occasions I think this would be an amazing change in an already great neighborhood.

My concern would be getting the residents of Rossdale to ever even consider this change. It would be a war I would think, especially with the political will and influential people who currently reside there.

As a none Rossdaleian though, I would be in total support of your idea!

yup...getting them to buy in would be the big challenge. I purposely put the towers along 97ave to keep them "away" from the neighbourhood, but people need to understand that for an area like this to become interesting and semi-sustainable, towers are needed and reflect the built form across 97ave.

imagine a little capers grocery for the community in this...a shoppers...and other neighbourhood services along with some food and bev.

not to mention the opportunity for cultural/artisan use and display.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 4:03 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
probably in reference to this thread http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=142432

Okee dokee, still a lame comment.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 6:03 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Anyone have any pics of the area's current state? other than Google overhead view?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton