HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 5:53 PM

[Halifax] St. Mark's Anglican (5522 Russell) | 35 M | 12 FL | Proposed

The proposed redevelopment of the St. Mark's Anglican Church Hall is going ahead to Heritage Advisory Committee next week.

Case HRTG-2023-00201: Substantial Alteration to St Mark’s Church, a registered municipal heritage property at 5522 Russell Street, Halifax

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 6:29 PM

Pretty unexciting integration as proposed, but having a little more height than normal for that neighbourhood would be nice

Old Posted Aug 24, 2024, 3:12 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The proposed redevelopment of the St. Mark's Anglican Church Hall is going ahead to Heritage Advisory Committee next week.

Case HRTG-2023-00201: Substantial Alteration to St Mark’s Church, a registered municipal heritage property at 5522 Russell Street, Halifax
When will this non-architectural ugly box design end? The city needs to provide guidance or incentive to stop this ugly, cookiecutter, mundane, utilitarian design practice. (ref. Pg. 93 in the above link)

Old Posted Aug 25, 2024, 12:17 PM

I would have hoped for a more interesting building, but it is pretty standard compared to what is literally being built all over the city these days. It would be nice to have more attractive architecture, but perhaps it's okay to just get them done whilst in the middle of a housing crisis?

I like the effort they are putting into preserving the architectural elements of the church, and that they understand its historical significance to the area.

IMHO, the digital rendering below indicates that the setback of the building behind the church should make it not stick out too badly from street level.

Source

On a side note, I wonder if decades into the future that these look-alike buildings will stand out as being from the "housing crises era"...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2024, 11:34 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I would have hoped for a more interesting building, but it is pretty standard compared to what is literally being built all over the city these days. It would be nice to have more attractive architecture, but perhaps it's okay to just get them done whilst in the middle of a housing crisis?

I like the effort they are putting into preserving the architectural elements of the church, and that they understand its historical significance to the area.

IMHO, the digital rendering below indicates that the setback of the building behind the church should make it not stick out too badly from street level.

Source

On a side note, I wonder if decades into the future that these look-alike buildings will stand out as being from the "housing crises era"...
Yes, these look-alike buildings will stick out as an anomaly. Faceless architecture in a period where no one noticed or cared. Not only does this suite of bland buildings have little to no architectural contribution to a city that deserves much better, the cladding materials will degrade at an unacceptable rate. The cladding on the rear of the Bowtie is already degrading and I assume all of the knock off 8 storey plastic boxes we see have similar materials. (Not acceptable)

Old Posted Aug 25, 2024, 11:35 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post

Source

Yes, these look-alike buildings will stick out as an anomaly. Faceless architecture in a period where no one noticed or cared. Not only does this suite of bland buildings have little to no architectural contribution to a city that deserves much better, the cladding materials will degrade at an unacceptable rate. The cladding on the rear of the Bowtie is already degrading and I assume all of the knock off 8 storey plastic boxes we see have similar materials. (Not acceptable)

Much credit though for perserving the church!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth