HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 6:30 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
It would be located on the left in that photo. You can't see it in the photo. The one in the middle of the Connaught and the building discussed in this thread.
The one with the top roof exposed? The yellowish building? Or the 1 story one beside it (Saigon House) between this building and the rc building? There are 2.. since you say you can't see it in the pic I am assuming the former..

at this point the former has deteriorated so much it might just be better to tear it down.. one of its windows appears broken as well.. that and the fancy facade on it was long ago stripped.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 5:41 PM

8/19/2020 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 7:27 PM
Hamilton Historian

Did they use actual stone or are those cinderblocks? I mean I get they were trying to match the stone look but cinderblock just makes it look.. unfinished.. But maybe they're not done, but my gut says they are..

Upon double checking previous photos it is indeed a stone veneer - or at least a thin concrete one - I'll have to see it up close to really tell.

At least it doesn't look too bad from far away..

The wood finish feels a lot more fitting at least.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 7:52 PM

Such a sad little building to the right (east). On the other hand that is best the hording on the old Shell site has looked in ... well ever.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 8:14 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Such a sad little building to the right (east). On the other hand that is best the hording on the old Shell site has looked in ... well ever.
Sadly you are correct - they shoulda just let it collapse when it became structurally unsound a while back.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Such a sad little building to the right (east).
It's a shame because it didn't have to be. Bigger windows, a cornice, and decorative lintels could have made it a decent little building.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 3:32 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconPoutine View Post
It's a shame because it didn't have to be. Bigger windows, a cornice, and decorative lintels could have made it a decent little building.
Unfortunately seems even in its heyday it didn't have these things..

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Unfortunately seems even in its heyday it didn't have these things..

^The Great War Veterans Association. Cool.

John A. Reche.
Wholesale and Retail
Dealer in
Drugs & ...?
Paints & Oils ...? Brushes, etc.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 1:13 AM

If the streets could talk, what a tale they’d tell.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 7:28 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
If the streets could talk, what a tale they’d tell.
Well the city WAS built by the mafia, so I am sure there are enough bodies thrown in with the concrete below

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 10:00 PM
Burger Connoisseur

I'm not sure how I feel about this? It looks like bare concrete blocks... are they going to paint or put something over them? The main floor, elevator section and top floor are the ugliest because I think they are brand new. At least the middle floors look original and they aren't nearly as bad as the rest of the building, I do like this middle section.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 10:23 PM
Ham-burgher

I think that looks very good, especially the terrace on the top floor and the first floor windows. I'd be disappointed if they painted any of the blocks/bricks.

Something taller needs to go up between this and the Connaught condos, stepping up to a level between the two... cover up most of that ass-view of RC's wall.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 12:01 AM

Yeah That looks pretty nice from here. I'll have to see it up close but I have no problem with this. Not incredible but acceptable. Yes, please something cover up the rear and side view of the RC. Main street will progress slowly until two way traffic.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 2:05 AM

Yep, I've got no problems with the way that looks.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 6:51 PM
Hammer'd

It looks fine to me. Very similar to the Templar Flats.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 7:26 PM

kinda like it-

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 1:32 AM
Hamilton Historian

I think its the lack of lintels and stone jutouts on the corner that makes it look like a cinderblock finish as well as a lack of stone colour diversity - looks like a veneer - imo they should have mirrored the design entirely if they were going to try to replicate it right down to the size of the blocks - and to give it a faux weathered finish to match would have helped. I personally don't like how the first floor windows look like they were randomly cut into the stone - if you look at the windows in the middle floors they line up perfectly with where the stones terminate. Also the sense of symmetry is destroyed with the randomly sized windows on the first floor, and also the lack of the original window they were going to punch on the side making that wall appear odd.

We shall see how it weathers - it would be nice if they added some awnings to the first floor windows as well. Or at least something like what originally appeared - too much has changed from the initial render to know what their plans are. At least it shouldn't deteriorate like it did when it was stucco finish.

The middle is indeed original, although this building did get a cleanup a few years back. This would have been a classical styled building with decorative window shutters and 5 windows in the front - you often see this in century style buildings in the states.

Shutters can be seen here - although they only lasted in the first era of wraparound wooden awnings in the city:

I do love those old style sash windows though.

Let's compare their renders with what we have so far:

Last edited by Chronamut; Sep 5, 2020 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 1:53 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about this? It looks like bare concrete blocks... are they going to paint or put something over them? The main floor, elevator section and top floor are the ugliest because I think they are brand new. At least the middle floors look original and they aren't nearly as bad as the rest of the building, I do like this middle section.
Ok I'm sort of walking back my complaint after closer inspection. From afar I still think the bricks/blocks look like bare concrete and are not the prettiest. But up close they are beautiful, they are almost like marble. This photo doesn't even do it justice you would need to get right up close, there is even some shimmer depending on how the light hits them. So from afar I still have mixed feelings on it but up close I love it.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 6:04 PM
Hamilton Historian

Yeah its one of those things where it's ok in person, but they could have done more to line it up perfectly with what was there - it could have been better, but it could have been worse.

I realy hope they add some sort of divider between the first and second floor - the original had an awning, and even their render had a colour delimiter and that jutout - but atm it just looks.. terribly bare.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton