HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Nice little additions.

Has the university made any progress on redeveloping all of the empty, asbestos-plagued residences lining King Edward?
No.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...sing-1.6959759

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...5&postcount=18

I don't think it's "asbestos plagued". Don't think that was still used when it was built in 1987. Issues is water seepage/mold.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Nice little additions.

Has the university made any progress on redeveloping all of the empty, asbestos-plagued residences lining King Edward?
I posted at the same time as J.OT13 above , so there is some redundancy here.

Asbestos was not the main problem. These buildings were poorly built (defunct Perez Corp.) and allowed water infiltration . That led to mold and they were condemned by the health Dept. The university said a few times that they would soon be demolished, but they were not. I get the impression that they have decided to wait until they are ready to put up a new building there. That is probably a long way off. In the meantime it is costing the university a lot of money to keep them standing, so it does not make a lot of sense to me to not pull them down.

Putting a new residence there would be an obvious choice. uOttawa has been talking to the Montreal developer will build at 2 Robinson Av. about including student residences in their development. I have a gut feeling that decisions about Brooks have been put on hold until they see if they can get a deal at 2 Robinson.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues