HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Now that the King William towers and McMaster's grad residence are reaching exterior completion simultaneously, how would you rank Hamilton's high-rises architecturally?

My top three:
1. William Thomas
2. Mac grad res
3. Marquee

Honourable mentions
Pigott
King William Urban Rentals
KiWi (if that counts as high rise)

There's a million candidates for dishonourable mentions among the 60s and 70s era towers around town, but among the current generation of newer buildings, I'd rank Platinum, 140 Main W and Walnut as the top tall duds.
honestly, I don't think the mac grad res looks that good from a distance. the facing has a wierd bladerunner vibe to it.

the street level is shaping up great, and i hope the residents support the businesses across the street (even if just to buy bottled water )

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 1:26 PM

Mac Grad is my favourite modern building - Pigott is the best highrise in the City overall though. The Condo corp desperately needs to give it a good powerwash however.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 6:58 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Mac Grad is my favourite modern building - Pigott is the best highrise in the City overall though. The Condo corp desperately needs to give it a good powerwash however.
Pigott looks amazing inside - all that art deco - and it's got the ghost elevator lol..

William thomas is the winner for best restored facade, even if they did cut corners in the middle.. literally.. the set back tower really makes you focus on the facade which I feel was a beautiful marriage of the two.

Mac residence is probably the best modern tower - personally for the king william I wish they had done better on the podium in various place and that they had chosen a matte black finish for the tower "bulges" to give them a more uniform finish - its a bit of a mess visually to try to focus on

The pigott can get away with the grime because of its almost church-like feel but yeah it would look cool powerwashed for sure. I'd love to see the metal cornice go back up on the sun life building - not sure why it was taken off - perhaps it was crumbling.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 7:42 PM

Which metal cornice?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 8:39 PM

Marquee is probably #1 for me the Mac building looks cool at times, sometimes the cladding just looks the same color as 25 Main West or Standard life lol.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 12:15 AM
Ham-burgher

Pigott is best for me too.

I also like 100 King West (former Stelco Tower) among "vintage" Hamilton skyscrapers. I wish it was 10-15 floors taller. 25 Main W. would rank up there too, for me, if it was taller and 'thicker'... I still love Stanley Roscoe's contributions to the city, but unless you're driving down Main St. from Queen or so toward the core this one now gets lost in the jumble. And I have gained a new appreciation for City Hall; again I wish it was a bit taller, but I think it's a classic and if additions or new buildings ever go up behind it I hope they complement the original.

The Mac Residence is probably the most interesting new tower to me, but I dislike that the cladding isn't all the way around/up the building.

I love what Cobalt has done for the skyline along King St. When I drive west on Lawrence Rd, those towers are very visible vertical elements now.

There are people who lament the loss of the Board of Education building. But the replacement (Mac's Braley health sciences centre) is an interesting building and much more befitting the downtown site. That huge lawn surrounding the old Board of Ed. was a waste of space.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Pigott is best for me too.

I also like 100 King West (former Stelco Tower) among "vintage" Hamilton skyscrapers. I wish it was 10-15 floors taller. 25 Main W. would rank up there too, for me, if it was taller and 'thicker'... I still love Stanley Roscoe's contributions to the city, but unless you're driving down Main St. from Queen or so toward the core this one now gets lost in the jumble. And I have gained a new appreciation for City Hall; again I wish it was a bit taller, but I think it's a classic and if additions or new buildings ever go up behind it I hope they complement the original.

The Mac Residence is probably the most interesting new tower to me, but I dislike that the cladding isn't all the way around/up the building.

I love what Cobalt has done for the skyline along King St. When I drive west on Lawrence Rd, those towers are very visible vertical elements now.

There are people who lament the loss of the Board of Education building. But the replacement (Mac's Braley health sciences centre) is an interesting building and much more befitting the downtown site. That huge lawn surrounding the old Board of Ed. was a waste of space.
I really have a deep love for the Stelco tower. Wish it was more utilized. The ground floor lobby is just sad too, but I love the dark simplicity. I think McMaster's grad building is the best building in the city though, hands down. Mid-rises in the city might be able to compete though, especially in a few years.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I really have a deep love for the Stelco tower. Wish it was more utilized. The ground floor lobby is just sad too, but I love the dark simplicity. I think McMaster's grad building is the best building in the city though, hands down. Mid-rises in the city might be able to compete though, especially in a few years.

I love the Stelco Tower too ! I wish they would light up to roof top or something.... maybe even some kind of antenna or signage on top (think TD tower in Toronto with the big "T" on top)
or skyline just needs something that sticks out.... Landmark put some ratty Christmas lights around its roof and it did something, however, just like most Hamilton attempts - it was mediocre and fell short of anything to brag about

we need to go back to a time when Hamilton really believed in its slogan of "ambitious city" and just try having some fun with the image of our city

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 9:58 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Which metal cornice?
THIS one - then:

Now:

Don't doubt my knowledge of architectural history hehe.. esp when it comes to cornices

I am not sure what the original material was offhand - maybe tin - but yes there was originally a bigass cornice at the top where the "grey" areas now are. I do remember reading somewhere that it was indeed made of some sort of metal as well.

Imo the sandstone colored additions made it more ugly than improved it.

Last edited by Chronamut; Mar 8, 2024 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 8:43 PM

I didn't know where else to put thus but Thorne is leaving the city. Maybe we can ditch the height limit easier.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 4:11 PM

Losing Thorne is a huge blow.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 7:07 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
..a thorne in your side..?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 11:48 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
It is. Hopefully whoever takes the reins is a disciple, and would continue many of the things he started/led.

I don't agree with every one of his perspectives, but Hamilton is a much better place having had his influence.

I also wonder if a power-play has been taking place since the change of city manager.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 11:52 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
..a thorne in your side..?
My thoughts immediately went to this... though I don't see Jason Thorne as such and the song DOES NOT APPLY in my opinion.

Video Link

Who knows... he may have even been lurking here, or a member!

I wish him all the best!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 7:01 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
My thoughts immediately went to this... though I don't see Jason Thorne as such and the song DOES NOT APPLY in my opinion.

Video Link

Who knows... he may have even been lurking here, or a member!

I wish him all the best!
Lol.. wouldn't be the first time someone big had an account on here..

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton