HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.yyc View Post
Unraveling because the planes are perpetually broken. Absolute disaster of an operation for the last 18 months. Good riddance.
Is that the reason why the JV is ending shortly? And who initiated that: Westjet or Pacific Coastal?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 6:19 PM

Westjet didn't renew the CPA, no joint venture as far as I know.

Overall just a total disaster of a summer for westjet, mostly of their own making, then followed up by a hail storm for a cherry on top.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytol View Post
Westjet didn't renew the CPA, no joint venture as far as I know.

Overall just a total disaster of a summer for westjet, mostly of their own making, then followed up by a hail storm for a cherry on top.
Ah yes CPA. Sorry I used the wrong term there!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 7:39 PM

Perhaps in response to AA, WS appears to be moving up the seasonal resumption of ORD to February 13. 3x weekly until end of April.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 5:33 PM

To further the WS link discussion above, a majority of the SFB opps have been removed from the schedule from Oct. 1 and replaced with a daily Encore DH4.

There is still 1x daily SFB to each YQL/YXC/YXH showing alongside the added Encore flights.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 11:18 PM
Scam Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
To further the WS link discussion above, a majority of the SFB opps have been removed from the schedule from Oct. 1 and replaced with a daily Encore DH4.

There is still 1x daily SFB to each YQL/YXC/YXH showing alongside the added Encore flights.
Look at WS3000 YYC-YQL. Out of the last 38 days, it has cancelled 12 times, i.e. a third. Absolutely absurd.

Being from YQL, I obviously could not recommend any friends or colleagues even consider flying the Saab, you're basically playing roulette with your travel plans.

Again, it's insane to me that WS has allowed this Mickey Mouse operation to continue with the WestJet name on the side of the airplanes for as long as they have.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.yyc View Post
Look at WS3000 YYC-YQL. Out of the last 38 days, it has cancelled 12 times, i.e. a third. Absolutely absurd.

Being from YQL, I obviously could not recommend any friends or colleagues even consider flying the Saab, you're basically playing roulette with your travel plans.

Again, it's insane to me that WS has allowed this Mickey Mouse operation to continue with the WestJet name on the side of the airplanes for as long as they have.
Is the issue the airline or the aircraft? i.e. is the problem Pacific Coastal, or is the Saab an unreliable plane?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 1:15 AM
Scam Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobuz View Post
Is the issue the airline or the aircraft? i.e. is the problem Pacific Coastal, or is the Saab an unreliable plane?
Some combination of both, though I'd be inlinced to suggest the primary culprit is the planes being 30 years old.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 4:59 AM
An Airline Employee @ YYC

Loss of a Runway

Apparently YYC CAA has decided to shut down Runway 08-26 and this will bring the total number of runways at YYC from four to three. It will be rebranded as Taxiway Lime for a nice east-west taxiway at the south end of the airfield. Welcome news apparently for all the fixed base operators down at the south end. It has been used a few times in the last number of years to store aircraft while in short-to-medium term parking (e.g.: during COVID-19).
Apparently this runway was used for over sixty years!
As it is shorter, and is east-west (not ideal for YYC near the mountains), it has been rarely used.

A Former WingTipper

The opinions stated above are my own and not those of my current employer.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 5:02 AM
An Airline Employee @ YYC

Will be interesting to see how the potential AC pilot strike impacts YYC. I don't believe YYC is a crew base for Mainline/Rouge pilots, but I am sure there would still be some picketing, likely from those that live here, plus the obvious operational impact. That would leave YYC with only four Express routes:
YLW
YQU
YEG
YMM
Maybe the odd YYC-YVR?

A Former WingTipper

The opinions stated above are my own and not those of my current employer.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 6:57 PM
Scam Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWingTipper View Post
It will be rebranded as Taxiway Lime for a nice east-west taxiway at the south end of the airfield. Welcome news apparently for all the fixed base operators down at the south end
Lima. It's business as usual for folks on the south end, because nothing is changing as it has been a taxiway for years anyway.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 6:22 AM

Ever since Sunwest moved north of Rwy 29 to their current location, and Millionaire was built, there wasn't much use of 26 in Chinook conditions. There's also been zero operations on it since it's been a Covid parking lot for Westjet

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 6:12 PM

Quote:
One week later, and now ALL the SFB flights are gone for October. Encore fully takes over YYC-YQL/YXH/YXC from October 1.

Only Link ops left in October are all from YVR.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 5:10 AM

Quote:
One week later, and now ALL the SFB flights are gone for October. Encore fully takes over YYC-YQL/YXH/YXC from October 1.

Only Link ops left in October are all from YVR.
These past couple weeks it seems like the vast majority of WS cancellations out of YYC have been on link. If they're basically cancelling every other flight then what's the point lol.

Is anyone aware of how it got this bad? I don't seem to recall it being this horrible a couple years ago, or pre covid.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 5:30 PM

The Saab fleet is old and overstretched. Pacific Coastal has been substituting Beech 1900Ds on many of their BC routes and cancelling half the seats.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
The Saab fleet is old and overstretched. Pacific Coastal has been substituting Beech 1900Ds on many of their BC routes and cancelling half the seats.
Interesting. Just last week, Pacific Coastal announced their 'expanded' winter schedule for 24/25 -- and a big part of that announcement was more capacity on many routes due to the Saab replacing the Beech 1900s!

https://www.pacificcoastal.com/winte...ule-2024-2025/

Quote:
Increased capacity will be introduced across several key routes through the use of Saab 340B aircraft...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 5:38 PM
Scam Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
Is anyone aware of how it got this bad? I don't seem to recall it being this horrible a couple years ago, or pre covid.
It's been stated countless times, the planes are garbage, and also crew issues in recent weeks.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobuz View Post
Interesting. Just last week, Pacific Coastal announced their 'expanded' winter schedule for 24/25 -- and a big part of that announcement was more capacity on many routes due to the Saab replacing the Beech 1900s!

https://www.pacificcoastal.com/winte...ule-2024-2025/
More flexibility with more frames I guess. Hopefully some transition time to preemptively address known issues, beyond normal overhauls. Plus more flexibility with them all painted in and operating under the same colours.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 1:12 PM

I've booked Pasco on the coast before and flown in a King Air 100, couple with a bus from YQQ to YBL when it was supposed to be another plane, lots of stuff happens.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 5:53 PM

Seems AC in January/February has upped its LHR/DEL routing to a 77W.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure