HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Instead of renovating terminal A, they should already be talking about demolishing it immediately after the new terminal is constructed instead of throwing lipstick on a pig. It will be a wasted $200M. SA just cannot get out of this small city mindset and it is so frustrating. They talk about thinking big and finally doing big things like the new Terminal, then decide to quite literally throw a paint job on the very reason they are building the new terminal in the first place.

It should be noted that Southwest is going through some major changes right now in terms of their model and could very well go to a hub a spoke model very soon. Does San Antonio want to be just another spoke on another airlines wheel? Something city leadership should consider before its too late. The opportunity is there to give Southwest Airlines their own brand new terminal which I believe they rightfully deserve as the cities largest airline.
I don't remember where I read this, but understand that SAT had a chance to be a hub for a major airline, (at least at the time), in seventies, but city did not want to pay for upgrades at the airport. That has, and still is, costing us.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 1:55 PM

No matter who the deal is with, San Antonians should not look like idiots at the conference table (that’s seemingly the job of City Council and soon-to-be Mayor Clayton Perry…kidding! XD). No surprise we have ALWAYS been looked down on, but we really haven’t been unreasonable from our perspective if we’ve offered 100 million in negotiations which is kind of a lot for us relative to the 42 million dollar Broadway project, and it seems like Southwest is a pretty big player for economy fliers. Unlike a Spurs arena, the airport is really something that has to be perfected on with each year.

I’m not saying wave the flag of surrender, but it’s in our future best interests to cave in and build. Projects like these are almost once in a generation to get agreed upon, especially if even one phase won’t be done for another…eight to ten years? That’s nearly two whole president terms by then. Who knows what the countries problems will be like, maybe San Antonio could step into the national picture by hosting another major company relocating from xyz, or a new one entirely? That all depends on how awesome of an airport we got.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 8:02 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
I don't remember where I read this, but understand that SAT had a chance to be a hub for a major airline, (at least at the time), in seventies, but city did not want to pay for upgrades at the airport. That has, and still is, costing us.
I don't think this claim is correct. SAT was way too small in the 1970s to even be considered for a "hub." American, Eastern, TWA and United were the "major" airlines of that time.

I cannot find any credible literature to confirm said claim.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 8:10 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofSeguin View Post
...but it’s in our future best interests to cave in and build.
That is unbelievably poor financial advice. SAT has offered to upgrade Terminal A. If WN wants more - they should pay. However, I wouldn't expect them to in their current position.

Also, anyone who is fretting the possibility of WN's potential departure from the San Antonio market should seriously chill out. They are not going anywhere.

Everything is going to turn out fine and all involved will be very pleased with the "new" airport when construction comes to a close.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
That is unbelievably poor financial advice.
I also do palm readings.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 2:55 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Yeah, because there is absolutely no history of democratic drunks on our City Council.

Or perhaps you're too young to know.
Literally 100% of the Rs on the Council in the past decade were arrested for DUI lol, get some perspective.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio