HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:23 PM

For those misinformed people(or outright liars) that you see online claiming that the PILOT is somehow a subsidy or a negative for the city please correct them that the PILOT is roughly 6x what the property taxes would be on the Arena parcel as is.

The current assessed value of the 3 Arena parcels is about 75Mil which translates to a little over 1 million in property taxes.

The assessment would need to increase 6x close to what the Linc is assessed at to make the PILOT an underpayment.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:54 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Queers Against the Arena, I think that’s what the news said the group identified as, was at city hall today. They think the arena will destroy the gayborhood….lol. Sit down, you’ll go see Charlie XCX or Chappell and then go out in the gayborhood in record numbers. Gayborhood will never be stronger. May end up with more gay bars.
You gotta be kidding me, lol... People need better hobbies to fill their time.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
For those misinformed people(or outright liars) that you see online claiming that the PILOT is somehow a subsidy or a negative for the city please correct them that the PILOT is roughly 6x what the property taxes would be on the Arena parcel as is.

The current assessed value of the 3 Arena parcels is about 75Mil which translates to a little over 1 million in property taxes.

The assessment would need to increase 6x close to what the Linc is assessed at to make the PILOT an underpayment.
In fact, this year, those three parcels generated just $470,000 in property tax revenue for the city. According to Atlas, next year’s tax bill is projected to be a little over $1 million, but it’s important to note that the assessment for the most valuable of the three parcels is currently 'under appeal.' With that in mind, the proposed PILOT payment would be 12x the current revenue generated for the city and school district.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:33 PM

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
So bizarre, but it would be great if the Disney Hole gets developed.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
You gotta be kidding me, lol... People need better hobbies to fill their time.
It was on CBS; I was flabbergasted. I hate people.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
So bizarre, but it would be great if the Disney Hole gets developed.
We def need housing. Id be ok with a giant residential building in Disney hole. Build the arena so it can be built on in the future bc space is limited. Better to have options to build up.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket;10290178[IMG
https://i.imgur.com/cCYah4N.png[/IMG]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_Philadelphia

But my favorite tidbit in this whole mess is that the Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation's Executive Director, John Chin, lives in Graduate Hospital.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2024/...hn-chin-arena/
I was trying to find the article I read a while back that detailed the history behind DC's Chinatown (i.e. the one that specifically articulates that most Chinese with the exception of some elderly folks in a public housing complex had departed to NoVa and Maryland long before the DC Arena)...and I came across an article (in DC media) that interviewed 3 Chinese men about how the Arena there had destroyed DC Chinatown (built in 1997) in the same breath that mentioned all 3 of them had left the neighborhood in the 1980s (a decade before the arena was built) for the suburbs. Literally no one involved in writing or interviewing for the article saw the irony.

Anyways, in another curious note, apparently Chinatown activists demanded the residential tower on the north side of the proposal be "removed" because it's a "middle finger" to the neighborhood even though it includes 80 affordable units. You can't make this stuff up.

It'd be okay though if it were a metal panel Chinatown special with vinyl casements windows built by one of them.

Quote:
But the uncertainty that accompanies all these new proposals around the arena was emphasized on Thursday by Councilmember Mark Squilla’s statement that he was committed to having the development team scrap the original 395-unit tower, which was to include affordable housing.

“My colleagues in Chinatown are really opposed to that housing development on top of the arena,” said Squilla. “They took that as a middle finger to Chinatown. … So I’ve been working with the development team to remove that piece from the project.”

Squilla said Chinatown neighborhood groups saw the tower as an insulting concession of little value offered by the 76ers to ease the passage of an arena they bitterly opposed to.
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20240926.html

On another note...for those with better googling skills than me. Can someone please find the article about DC Chinatown that lays plain that it already wasn't a Chinese neighborhood anymore before their arena was built? I can't find it. I feel like it was written by their version of City Paper/Philadelphia Weekly some time ago.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
We def need housing. Id be ok with a giant residential building in Disney hole. Build the arena so it can be built on in the future bc space is limited. Better to have options to build up.
I actually wouldn’t mind that Having one big building On Disney hole , 50 store with Residential and hotels

Old Posted Today, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skang View Post
I actually wouldn’t mind that Having one big building On Disney hole , 50 store with Residential and hotels
Agreed. Bonus points if they use the Cathedral 2 proposal architecture; that was a stunning proposal. Would have totally changed visually that area.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals