HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLResident View Post
It shows inside the roundabout (Close to Robert E Howlett side) at some point 3 lanes. So my questions are is that section of Robert E upgrading to 4 lanes, will there be merging involved like the famous Galway roundabouts, and what about the Ruby Line and Robert E Howlett intersection where there's at least 2-3 accidents and more close calls there every year. That intersection should also be a roundabout.

Good point on the intersection. It should have been included in the scope.
Too many loose ends for a new interchange. They will probably reduce speeds to 60 or even 50 approaching the 1st roundabout at the end of TGH; which would have to be a significant distance back.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Good point on the intersection. It should have been included in the scope.
Too many loose ends for a new interchange. They will probably reduce speeds to 60 or even 50 approaching the 1st roundabout at the end of TGH; which would have to be a significant distance back.
That Ruby Line intersection is horrible and should be at least a roundabout. What we need is all overpasses, but as we know, an overpass in Newfoundland is a 3+ year project for some reason.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
That Ruby Line intersection is horrible and should be at least a roundabout. What we need is all overpasses, but as we know, an overpass in Newfoundland is a 3+ year project for some reason.
I hear your criticism, but some of the main overpasses on TGH were done in a season and a half. It was a matter of money, and probably political optics to the rest of the province.
It's unfortunate the foresight was not there to complete it like the diagram that wasn't adopted (5 posts ago). We have 2 major arterials coming together in a roundabout chokepoint.

Last edited by jjavman; Jul 27, 2024 at 12:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 11:51 AM

Assuming this would go here

Fort Amherst Harbour Receiving Major Upgrade - https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...2024-1.7317425

Always found it interesting there's are two Authorities. Curious to find out the history, and if this is a normal arrangement elsewhere.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 8:29 PM

TGH Completion Contract awarded

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 8:33 PM

Quote:
The concept for the TGH was done in 1974. 50 years ago.
The highway didn't start construction until 2000.

24 years later, they are negotiating for land?
Unbelievable

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 10:54 AM

Team gushue highway

I still believe nothing when it comes to this highway until I drive on it. It was 15 months ago that everyone gathered to announce it's completion. Now the same crowd have gathered again to announce it again....with an ambitious finish date....opening in 2026! The one thing I do believe, is that the government is committed to recycling.....announcing projects, that is

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 12:35 PM

Reannouncment

Quote:
I still believe nothing when it comes to this highway until I drive on it. It was 15 months ago that everyone gathered to announce it's completion. Now the same crowd have gathered again to announce it again....with an ambitious finish date....opening in 2026! The one thing I do believe, is that the government is committed to recycling.....announcing projects, that is
Precisely. I look forward to driving on it.... whenever.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 2:14 PM

TGH - CBC version

Quote:
" N.L. awards contract to finish — finally — Team Gushue Highway"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...ract-1.7326006

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 2:21 PM

Quote:
" N.L. awards contract to finish — finally — Team Gushue Highway"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...ract-1.7326006
The hyperbole is thick.
Mayor of Bay Bulls says you'll be able to get to centre of town in 20 min from Bay Bulls! 20 minutes barely gets you to the start of the Howlett from Bay Bulls in normal traffic!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
The hyperbole is thick.
Mayor of Bay Bulls says you'll be able to get to centre of town in 20 min from Bay Bulls! 20 minutes barely gets you to the start of the Howlett from Bay Bulls in normal traffic!
Also no talk anymore of extending Howlett to Witless Bay Line. It was announced by either Williams or Dunderdale, and canned by Ball.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
Also no talk anymore of extending Howlett to Witless Bay Line. It was announced by either Williams or Dunderdale, and canned by Ball.
At least that one was officially canned by the government at the time... I'll give them that. TGH rhetoric has been on going ad infinitum. It's rather nauseating!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
At least that one was officially canned by the government at the time... I'll give them that. TGH rhetoric has been on going ad infinitum. It's rather nauseating!
You can still find the project information on the provinces website - https://www.gov.nl.ca/ecc/projects/project-1776/

I thought it was envisioned to go around Bay Bulls Big Pond to the east and end at Witless Bay line. The purposed plan was actually to place it west of/and almost parallel to the Southern Shore Highway. It would have ended before Long Pond.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
You can still find the project information on the provinces website - https://www.gov.nl.ca/ecc/projects/project-1776/

I thought it was envisioned to go around Bay Bulls Big Pond to the east and end at Witless Bay line. The purposed plan was actually to place it west of/and almost parallel to the Southern Shore Highway. It would have ended before Long Pond.
That's east of the SS Highway but it doesn't matter because it's not happening however much I'd like it to. If I can dream for a minute it would've made more sense to bring it west of Big Pond and follow Track Road ( visible on Google maps) which would keep it clear of the watershed area and aligned better with the Witless Bay Line. But anyway....

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
That's east of the SS Highway but it doesn't matter because it's not happening however much I'd like it to. If I can dream for a minute it would've made more sense to bring it west of Big Pond and follow Track Road ( visible on Google maps) which would keep it clear of the watershed area and aligned better with the Witless Bay Line. But anyway....
Lol, your right. I'm cardinal confused this morning apparently.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's