HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:53 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I was looking at mean temperatures for a few cities and noticed St. Catharines/Niagara's mean temperature in September is the same as Vancouver's in July and August, 18 C. Niagara is also part of the Carolinian forest, which has different types of trees than elsewhere in Canada.

Didn't the term 'carolinian' fall out of favour some time ago in favour of just calling it a hardwood forest? I believe I read that it was determined that there was no scientific basis for the term. I do love a pure hardwood stand. We have them here too. They occur in areas that are unable to sustain conifers. Regarding species spread, in the absence of natural barriers such as mountain ranges and bodies of water, ( ie. the Galapagos ) there are going to be, unavoidable, more. This is especially problematic in term of invasive species.

Yesterday's high on Bedford Basin was 20.0, a degree or two warmer than YHZ. Normal high for today at YHZ is about 16. Today is sunny and will top out at a higher temp than yesterday.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
Didn't the term 'carolinian' fall out of favour some time ago in favour of just calling it a hardwood forest? I believe I read that it was determined that there was no scientific basis for the term. I do love a pure hardwood stand. We have them here too. They occur in areas that are unable to sustain conifers. Regarding species spread, in the absence of natural barriers such as mountain ranges and bodies of water, ( ie. the Galapagos ) there are going to be, unavoidable, more. This is especially problematic in term of invasive species.

Yesterday's high on Bedford Basin was 20.0, a degree or two warmer than YHZ. Normal high for today at YHZ is about 16. Today is sunny and will top out at a higher temp than yesterday.
The northern extension of this area only goes up to extreme Southern Ontario and Southern NYS, it does not go all the way up to Nova Scotia, it extends down to Tennessee and North Carolina.

There are certain species that are common throughout this region, that’s why they are grouped together. Having hardwood stands in other places is not the same thing at all, the look and feel is quite different.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:01 PM

Great Lakes retain temperatures and moderate cool weather in the Fall for those areas in proximity to them like St. Catharines / Niagara.

This results in an often very late leaf loss and warm falls, but very cool and long springs with a late leaf-out.

This means you can get consistent 20+ degree weather well into October and even into November in some cases, but also means that snow in May is not uncommon. The 8-day forecast for where I am for example:

22-22-19-21-22-19-22-18

I didn't lose the last of the leaves on my trees until early December last year. My yard still looks like the middle of august with no colours at this point.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Thank you. My last treatment is on Tuesday. I can't wait to do nothing for a while. Except maybe some short walks.
Man, I wish you the best with all of that. Take it easy and enjoy each day as much as you are able. I'm sure it's a massive relief to just not have to make all those treks to the hospital just to feel like all of your energy has been sucked out of you.

Take care, and I look forward to your documented walkabouts some time in the future when you are feeling up to it again!

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:13 PM

Quote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolinian_forest

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:37 PM

Fall colours beginning along Vancouver's False Creek:

[IMG]IMG_2197 by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]

my photo

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
The northern extension of this area only goes up to extreme Southern Ontario and Southern NYS, it does not go all the way up to Nova Scotia, it extends down to Tennessee and North Carolina.

There are certain species that are common throughout this region, that’s why they are grouped together. Having hardwood stands in other places is not the same thing at all, the look and feel is quite different.
Is there Carolinian forest in South Carolina?

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:18 PM

Quote:

It's quite a distinct region ecologically, I often post photos showing the diversity of plants and trees. Obviously they don't use the term "Carolinian forest" in the US, and it probably should have been called something else, but the name has been around for a long time and has stuck.

Quote:
The Carolinian Zone
Early French explorers in what is now southern Ontario… especially the region between the Niagara and Detroit rivers, noted with amazement the character and diversity of the flora. In variety and lushness, it seemed to belong to a much warmer climate. European botanists, such as Kalm and Rafinesque, who came to North America in the middle decades of the eighteenth century, noted the phenomenon, but since the continent was still under a single sovereignty had no occasion to relate their observations to a political boundary. The creation of the United States offered a new point of view: when, in the last years before 1800 and the first decades immediately following, travellers from that country passed through the southern part of Upper Canada, they were very conscious of having crossed a frontier.

Little by little it dawned upon studious observers that …despite the interposition of a formal frontier and the broad span of inland seas, the territory under observation was a unit. From its northern limit, somewhere in Canada, it stretched into the southland as far as Tennessee and the Carolinas, and even beyond. It even reached out westward and southwestward across the Mississippi. Captivated by a name redolent of the south, one investigator called, quite appropriately, the vast roughly defined expanse, the Carolinian zone.

(Fox & Soper 1952)

Old Posted Today, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Looks good to me! Heck I don't even post a temperature half the time. Would like to echo that it's great to see Mcminsen back posting!

As for here. Classic pleasant fall day. Headed to Frontenac PP. Leaves have more change on them there than here, but it seems to come in pockets.

Lastly, a chipmunk and it's nut

We feed chipmunks up north all the time. They are like our part time pets. So it was sad when I stepped on one a couple of months ago. I just finished bbqing and was walking back to the cottage with a plate of burgers in my hand and I saw a flash of beige dart out from the picnic table right into my path. In a split second I realized he was on course to run right into my next step. I tried to stop, and I planted my right foot as lightly as I could, but dammit, I stepped on him with about half force and I heard a squeak. I turned around and saw it spasming and three seconds later it was dead. And this was only a couple weeks after I hit a red squirrel on Upper Middle Road for my first road kill ever.

Old Posted Today, 1:15 AM

Well, a couple weeks after inexplicably having to basically step in shit to go for a swim, the lake level has dropped and the shoreline is once again pristine. Also found some clay again, one minute after I talked to a neighbour saying how I was wandering around in the water for 15 minutes looking for some. I then proceeded to step on a very small patch that was thick with it. It's my light grey gold.

And those three days of rain last week really brought out the mushrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Weekend was incredible. Didn't know how many beach days would be left but plenty still. Was thinking that with pure sunshine and no wind it would idyllic swimming conditions. Well it was, once you got past the shoreline. Like WTF? How does this even happen to the shore? Like you had to step in shit to get to the good water and swim.

Also went to a trout pond for the first time since 2012. I figured my kids would each catch a one pounder and take them home for the grill. $11.50 a pound. Well, the first two that smashed the worm were big. After paying $3 entry for five of us, then two fish at $11.50 per lb, then $1 each fish for cleaning and for the worms and maybe tax, total damage was $79. It did taste good though. This pond was very brown though. Like you could barely see your toes if you stepped in. A complete contrast to the one in Dufferin County, which I've also included pics of.

At the same property as the trout pond, they also have a short 9 hole course for $18. The holes range from 58 to 88 yards. I've played mini golf courses that are longer. It's just like Grand Highland in Mississauga.

Old Posted Today, 2:08 AM
Mooderator

Winnipeg hasn't recorded a temperature below 2°C in 139 days, which is the 3rd longest on record

https://www.reddit.com/r/WinnipegWxR...e_below_2c_in/

Old Posted Today, 3:23 AM
Go Chiefs!

22C with a humidex of 25 and sunny. Beautiful day.

Low of 13C this morning.

The warmspot was Dauphin, MB at 25.7C. The high however was achieved at 1AM before the cold front.

Warmest low was Burlington Piers, ON at 18.5C

Old Posted Today, 3:29 AM
Go Chiefs!

Couple of September stats:

26 out of the 30 days saw a high above 20C. Tied the all-time record from 1872.

https://x.com/YUL_Weather/status/184...863893/photo/1

Only 4 lows below 10C all month (so 26 above). Good for 3rd all-time behind 1881 with 3 lows below 10 and 1934 with only 2 such.

harls posted Winnipeg having 139 consective days above 2C. Gonna up this a notch. We are currently at 153 consecutive days above 5C.

https://x.com/YUL_Weather/status/184...985640/photo/1

Old Posted Today, 6:32 AM
be nice to the crackheads

12c, rainy and cool at the Amsterdam Schiphol airport this morning. In transit to Madrid which should be significantly warmer at 28c.

Old Posted Today, 11:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

8C and partly cloudy in Moncton at 8 AM, going up to 17C this afternoon with scattered showers.

Morning fog over the Petitcodiac River rolling over downtown Moncton, Infinity Aerials on Facebook.

This photo was taken yesterday morning. I can personally vouch for how foggy it was. I drove my middle son over to Riverview for an early morning meeting yesterday, and the visibility on the Brenda Roberson Bridge over the Petitcodiac River was pretty dense. Fog is an infrequent visitor to Moncton.

There is a frost advisory tonight for the majority of the province, sparing the "banana belt" of the southeast (including greater Moncton). I sincerely doubt that any of the NB cities will be added to the freeze list, but frost might occur in mountain valleys in the Appalachian part of the province in the northwest around Edmundston.

Old Posted Today, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Is there Carolinian forest in South Carolina?
I don’t think it goes that far south, too subtropical at that point, but maybe way up in the mountains.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada