HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 2:28 PM

Pretty brief flyover this morning but I thought these shots were neat regardless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osvZJWKjXa4

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWalk99 View Post

Pretty brief flyover this morning but I thought these shots were neat regardless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osvZJWKjXa4
Wow CWALK99
I love the shot with the airport tower. I have always thought of this view but seems impossible to do being so close to the airport. Great SHOT!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 1:19 AM

San Antonio…a city on the rise.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofSeguin View Post
San Antonio…a city on the rise.

We are so far behind Austin, it’s not even funny.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I'm extremely familiar with Austin, I have watched the city's sad, slow, steady loss of identity in the name of economic growth for decades, but the only reason you're comparing the two cities is because they are so close to each other, which is not a good reason.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
I'm extremely familiar with Austin, I have watched the city's sad, slow, steady loss of identity in the name of economic growth for decades, but the only reason you're comparing the two cities is because they are so close to each other, which is not a good reason.
If it plays its cards right, SA has a shot at striking more of a balance that Austin didn't. Ironically though, the "culture" here is part of what keeps the city going through the motions IMO. SA needs to figure out how to attract/retain young people if it wants to level up further. I wish I knew what the complete solution was, but as the days go by I understand why more people go north for greener pastures. SA has a ton of potential, but it's still a pretty tough sell for "ambitious" 20-30 somethings unless they have ties here.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 12:25 PM

Talking

Quote:
Culinary attractions at the Pearl and Southtown, shopping attractions at the Rim/La Cantera and North Star/River Center, historical attractions at the Missions/Alamo, the Pearl and Witte and Briscoe and McNay and SAMA, the RIVERWALK! Tower of the Americas and the Hemisfair District, take a boat or a bus tour or just explore downtown and see the Art Deco architecture with its carvings and sculptures and stonework (did you know they’re filming a 1920s western show on Broadway this week?)

Yet I genuinely can’t imagine why anyone would want to go to Austin outside of school or work opportunities (and even then you’re getting your ass beat on campus for protesting). I walk around downtown and frown at all these brand new buildings, all glass and they say absolutely nothing about the city. There’s no charm or grace, they exist to serve their purpose. If Austin is progress, San Antonio should build a train directly to Houston instead cause that’s where inspiration lies.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 1:17 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
If it plays its cards right, SA has a shot at striking more of a balance that Austin didn't. Ironically though, the "culture" here is part of what keeps the city going through the motions IMO. SA needs to figure out how to attract/retain young people if it wants to level up further. I wish I knew what the complete solution was, but as the days go by I understand why more people go north for greener pastures. SA has a ton of potential, but it's still a pretty tough sell for "ambitious" 20-30 somethings unless they have ties here.
I grew up in San Antonio and then went to UT in the late 80s/early 90s. In the 70s and into the 80s, Austin had a 'no growth" mentality. That was part of what made Austin so charming. The way it was pictorialized in the 70s in Dazed And Confused was easy to film in the early 90 because it hadn't taken off yet. That didn't really happen until a few years later in the late 90s. But the seed had already been planted. Until then, Austin was known as a place with lots of highly educated people (mostly because of UT) who chose to live there even though they couldn't find jobs that matched their skillsets, because it was such a cool place.

IBM and Texas Instruments had a presence in Austin, and of course Dell. Then in about 1988 Austin got its first big tech PPP project with Sematech. Then the dominos started to fall as more and more companies started moving in. Then about 20 years ago it exploded.

Today, San Antonio has more and better colleges than it did back then. UTSA has really improved and grown, TAMUSA has been established and is growing, and Trinity of course, as well as a few others. So San Antonio has more potential for such growth than it used to. And Austin has gotten so congested and overpriced that some people are choosing to move down to SA (my sister being one of them). We'll see what happens next.

Last edited by JACKinBeantown; Sep 18, 2024 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Poor San Antonio. So far from God and so close to Austin.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 2:16 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

My in-laws and like half my friends all grew up in Austin. Literally no old time Austin person I've met is like "you know this city has really changed for the better in the last 30 years". You can't exist for ten minutes at a party in Austin without someone complaining about it. Austin is still a good place but SA is also a good place. There are, in fact, multiple good places.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
IBM and Texas Instruments had a presence in Austin, and of course Dell. Then in about 1988 Austin got its first big tech PPP project with Sematech. Then the dominos started to fall as more and more companies started moving in. Then about 20 years ago it exploded.

Today, San Antonio has more and better colleges than it did back then. UTSA has really improved and grown, TAMUSA has been established and is growing, and Trinity of course, as well as a few others. So San Antonio has more potential for such growth than it used to. And Austin has gotten so congested and overpriced that some people are choosing to move down to SA (my sister being one of them). We'll see what happens next.
Agree for sure. It'll be interesting to see how the next decade or so plays out with how the landscape is changing. There seems to be more leadership here that is thinking forward.

Don't mean to seem like I was totally dunking on SA either lol, it's WAY better here than it was 10 years ago or so. Just as a 20-something it's interesting to see how it seems like the majority leave after high school and don't come back unless they're the settle down early type of person. Obviously jobs are part of that equation, but I think it's also the way the city markets itself.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 10:18 PM

I know we're getting off topic here but - I grew up in Austin and still consider it my hometown. I've been in SA for well over a decade now and honestly, the vibes here are closer to what Austin was when I grew up than what it's evolved into.

Personally I hate the comparisons to each other. I get it because of the geography, but both are great cities in thier own right.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 12:16 AM

Quote:
There is no need to compare San Antonio to Austin. The cities are two TOTALLY different cities, which can't be compared. San Antonio is rich in history, it is unique in that it has a beautiful downtown Riverwalk, and is a very cultural city. Austin is a government city with tech industries. Do you really think our city leaders are saying, "OMG,we have to compete with Austin". I don't think so. We also have a very diversified economy, which gives the city reason to stand on its own. All the upcoming big projects are just going to propel the city in the right direction. We are the seventh largest city in the USA, and we certainly do not need to worry about the height of the skyline or anything else. San Antonio is a beautiful, historical and one of a few unique cities in the USA. Other unique cities that come to mind are New Orleans and Boston.

Btw, do you live in Seguin or San Antonio, Spirit of Seguin?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 6:04 AM

Quote:
This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 12:45 AM

The old standard versus the new hotness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Btw, do you live in Seguin or San Antonio, Spirit of Seguin?

I travel a lot.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofSeguin View Post
The old standard versus the new hotness.

I travel a lot.

So do I!!!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 11:31 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
So do I!!!!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c578195b...qx8xo1_500.gif

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio