View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 4:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
^I know the area, too, having lived in Orlando for 20 years. I'm not getting the scale off, I don't need Google earth.
Maybe I should have mentioned before that I've done a couple dozen land surveys in the exact neighborhood being discussed, including parcels between the proposed station and the OCCC. I've kind of got an eye for this sort of thing.

Here's some Google Earth snapshots for you...

screenshots from Google Earth

These distances are not acceptable for someone on foot. Well established precedent tells us that almost nobody is willing to walk over 1/2mile from a transit stop to/from their destination, and studies centric to Florida actually peg the distance at more like 1/4mile... As you can see, the proposed HSR location would involve walking distances considerably beyond that.

So my original point remains, the OCCC is not within walking distance of the proposed station. I'm sure there will be a shuttle set up, but with this kind of distance, they could just as well do a monorail up to Universal and down to Sea World. Or better yet, move the station down closer to I-4, in behind the Rosen Centre.