View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 2:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Speaking of the Budweiser Gardens in London......

Downtown Moncton Centreville has announced a community symposium to be held at 7:30 AM on Wednesday April 17th at the Capitol Theatre. The guest speakers will be the director of the Budweiser Gardens and the executive director of Downtown London Inc.

They will be speaking on how transformative the London events centre has been for their downtown since it opened in 2002. Apparently downtown tax valuation in London has doubled in the last 10 years, in large part due to the presence of this important facility.

Despite the ungodly hour, everyone is invited to attend this symposium.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also:

The deadline for the request for qualifications for the new events centre passed yesterday. Apparently "multiple proposals" were received. City hall staffers will now review the proposals in detail and those companies that are felt to be qualified will be invited to submit a formal RFP for the project. if the city decides to proceed, this RFP will likely be issued in the fall.

The option for the city to buy the Highfield Square property will expire in June. A decision on whether to proceed with the purchase is expected in May.

Louis Leger, the president of DMCI is pressuring the city administration to proceed quickly with all this. According to him, several "very significant projects" on adjacent pieces of property are awaiting a formal announcement by the city as to it's intentions.

As had been stated before, the events centre itself might be $100-150M, but by proceeding, an additional $100-150M of private investment might also be stimulated by this project.

Downtown Saint John will soon be transformed by the redevelopment of the coast guard site. The Moncton downtown events centre will be our own equivalent project. This is a critical time for our city. We can not let this opportunity pass by.....

EDIT - sorry Budyser, I see that you beat me to it by several minutes. If I had seen your post, I would have modified mine somewhat. I didn't mean to steal your thunder.....

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 16, 2013 at 3:22 PM.