View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 1:27 AM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
The fact that many airports in Mexico lack jet ways and/or bridges is not the point. $@&&, many airports in the U.S are the same. The point is Upper-class Mexicans will not fly on an airline developed to service migrant workers. As far as illegal immigrants using the airline to travel back home, it will be difficult. You cannot go to Mexico without a passport.
The airline wasn't developed to 'service' migrant workers - no idea where you came up with that. You were the one that mentioned having to walk on the tarmac, not me, I was just pointing out that it's not something Mexicans would be necessarily unfamiliar with, nor would it be to Americans - for the price I think most people would deal with it.

Being from a San Antonio suburb near IH-35, you of all people should know that Mexicans drive hundreds of miles, from Monterrey or farther (I see a lot of Jalisco and D.F. plates as well) to come shop at our outlet malls. Don't you think this would appeal to them as well? I bet it's much cheaper to fly and rent a car than to drive their VW Pointers all the way and wait in a long line at the border.

Middle-class Mexicans on Easter shopping holidays, Mexican-Americans with family in Mexico, legal Mexican immigrants (even some illegal ones who fly one-way), American tourists are all potential customers of these flights. It's obvious that there's a potential here, otherwise GE Capital wouldn't have gotten behind it.

Years ago, in the UK people wouldn't have ever considered flying to Alghero, Graz, Gdansk, Mulhouse, or wherever the hell RyanAir flies these days - but due to how cheap it is, people just go for the sake of going. My cousin has been to some pretty off-the-wall places just because it's $50 to go there. I flew to Salzburg one time just because I could! No doubt this kind of potential exists in America as well, and Austin will be at the vanguard of what I hope is a successful concept.