View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 10:13 PM

^Although, considering the drastic change in form that this project took between the first design and this most recent iteration, I am hoping that the design is still subject to influence at this point. I wrote out quite a lengthy critique of the design after attending the meeting of the Hawthorne Neighbors and sent it off to Tunney's office, and I wasn't expecting to receive a response and knew that there was a slim chance that my opinion would even be weighed, but Norine at the 44th Ward office messaged me back today and said that she would be printing out my submission and delivering it personally to Tunney and his chief of staff, Bennett (we'll see if he actually reads it). One letter won't change anyone's mind, obviously, but maybe 10 or 20 will. I would advise anyone that has even a slight desire to give their opinion to do so. At the very least, he will be aware that other perspectives exist and that those who harbor them are just as concerned about seeing these types of developments built and with great, fully realized design as others are that oppose them or only accept them if they get a (false) compromise between a new building and something that keeps them from feeling like too much change is being forced on them.

Also, Bennett was able to provide me a schedule of when the next "Community Directed Development Council" meetings will be. Supposedly, opinions given at the first of these meetings that included the Clark/Belmont proposal are what spurred the redesign between the first version of the building and the current proposal. According to Bennett, "There will be many more meetings on this project as the process moves forward. They have made design changes since the last presentation to CDDC and will likely have further modifications based on community input. I can imagine they will return to the neighborhood groups and the CDDC at least one more time. We may also decide to have a special meeting to discuss the project in the neighborhood." He said that there may be a CDDC meeting in December, but if not, it will be January 22nd (CDDC meetings are normally the 4th Wednesday of odd months).