View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 7:20 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Yeah no, I'm not actually okay with it. I rather those sites sit vacant until the next boom than to build a 6 story structure in the middle of downtown.
Majin, I don’t think anybody here would ever question your passion for the central city (with the exception of our tree canopy). But some of the most vibrant cities in the world are cities dominated by low and mid rise buildings. There are plenty of sites in the downtown core for residential high rises should they ever materialize. The two projects Marcos Breton mentions would still add a lot of residential units and much higher densities in addition to erasing years of blight. I love the Shornstein proposal on Capital Mall and it’s not tall. Secondly, it sounds as if Anthem remains open to the possibility of taller projects downtown if demand continues to grow.

I understand what you’re saying about the other mid sized cities seeing high rise residential projects materialize in their downtowns. But the truth is, they don’t have the same construction red tape and added costs that we have here in California to say nothing of the never ending lawsuits being filed.

I’m excited to see construction on J street. I don’t care if they’re 8 or 40 stories as long as they’re quality projects that bring more vibrancy to our central core.

BTW as a side note there’s something to be said about smaller projects. When people buy into a high rise condo or apartment project, the high rises almost end up like self contained cities within a city. People sometimes never venture out of their ivory towers. When i lived at 800 J street, I was out all the time.