View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
New York absolutely has height limits around the Empire State Building and has for decades. They are protecting its eastward views from Long Island and JFK; its main point of entry for millions of people, and it's south facing view from downtown. ESB can still be seen sitting in planes on the tarmac at JFK, EWR and from the World Trade Center; all of which are controlled and/or managed by the Port Authority of NY/NJ. Its westwards views are being threatened though and it is a battle, but the City and State of New York could care less about Jersey views... hence Hudson Yards and Voronado's plans for Madison Square Garden district.

London also has limits around its famous landmarks from specific views as well; and Paris is even more strict, only allowing high rises in a master planned/confined space. Nothing new here and nothing unique to Los Angeles
Ahh I see, stand corrected. Thanks for the link to the East Midtown rezoning, by the way!

Still, though I know I'm in the minority, I think height limits simply for the sake of preserving certain long-distance views are overrated. While I like the idea of seeing ESB from street level a few blocks away, I really don't see the need to see it all the way from JFK while actually sitting on the tarmac. Oh well

Anyways, so is the aforementioned view of City Hall the only one that is protected? If so that would explain the design of that new masterplan vision for the Civic Center.