View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:15 PM
BANNED

Hi-
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been watching with great interest how the SY development is shaping up. This building troubles me a bit.
I don't mind that it will be red. That seems to be what people are focusing on. Red is fine. It's the massing that irritates me. Top-heavy buildings like this seem, aesthetically, unlike what a skyscraper should be. It's blocky and imposing, rather than graceful.
The conditions at grade level are very nice, however - the building is raised above the ground plane which allows for public outdoor activities to take place there.
Here is a link to the architect's web page for the building.https://pau.studio/what/jfk-towers-at-schuylkill-yards/
The writing is terrible, typical architect double speak ("a dynamic tri-partite volume that flips symmetrically to become itself and dances as one moves around the city"-? WTF does that mean?), and lots of rationalizations for "echoing" other things (red like the Pennsylvania RR trains that used to run through the site, a mention of Furness' Fine Arts Building for some reason, etc., anything to avoid making its own identity, just reflecting the identities of other things.) I don't understand why they had to try to make it red because of the trains that went through there decades and decades ago - it would have been perfectly fine to say that we are making the building red so that it stands out from the other blue glass towers in the city. Old trains have nothing to do with it. But that's post modern architecture for you.
I hope this design gets refined, it could be a nice building.