View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2022, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
As for Folsom, if I had to live in a suburb, it seems like a pretty decent one with that nice historic downtown and also the riverfront and nearby trails (plus the mass transit connection to Sacramento).
My sister has been raising her family in Folsom for about 15 years now, and the whole extended family has gathered in Old Town Folsom for meals for ages. It's a very cute district. One of the best things about it is the light rail link--when I lived in San Francisco I would show up there by train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
These towns look like how I'd imagine a lot of the west's ghost towns did in their prime. They're crazy intact. They hardly look touched by construction post-turn of the century.
Unsurprisingly, these towns went through a period of dilapidation and failure. As a kid, my family used to pass through almost all of these towns on our way to camping in the Sierra, and in the bad old days they were nearly empty and falling apart. But just like how the glorious Victorians of San Francisco were restored, these towns are well on their way to their former glory. I'm so happy to see the dedicated investment and public interest in these wonderful places today. These Gold Country towns have great bones.