View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
There was one in Fullerton on Spadra Road. There is a picture on the Pacific Electric Railway Historical Society website which shows the cone building and says that it was taken on May 2, 1937. The site says that Spadra Road is now Harbor Blvd. A comment made on June 23, 2014 indicates that it was located at 900 Spadra Road and at that time, according to the woman who posted the comment, was called " Helen's Ice Cream" and "The Big Cone"
Yes, Spadra is now Harbor Blvd., and 900 N. Harbor Blvd. is at the corner of Glenwood Ave. and is now the property of a mortuary addressed 902. It is also maybe 100 feet or so south of Berkeley Ave., which is where the Pacific Electric tracks crossed Spadra Road on a bridge.

Is this the photo?

PacificElectric.org

I was looking for a good pic of the bridge when I came across the page with the photo, because the photo was taken from the bridge.

And here is the bridge, looking north:

Also PacificElectric.org

Since this view looks north, the ice cream cone would be behind camera to the right. The other side of the bridge said "Welcome to Fullerton". Given the dates of the Golden Jubilee advertisement on the bridge, it seems likely that both photos were taken on the same day.

Apologies for the short excursion to Orange County; I grew up in Fullerton until I was 16 and that bridge - long gone by the time I was around - always held a fascination for me. It was local, and yet utterly unreachable. It was gone and so were the red cars, but on top of that I also had no idea where it used to stand as the books that contained the photos of it were too vague to tell me.