Thread: 2019 CFL Season
View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
How do the Argos become relevant again? It's not a simple answer, and a lot of it is going to ride on the general societal viewpoint of the CFL and football as a whole. How do you make the Argos relevant in a city where there's four or five more popular sports teams? How do you make the CFL more relevant when the NFL is such a juggernaut? How do you make football more compelling for young people vis-a-vis other sports? They're all questions I don't really have an answer to, and they likely won't have simple answers.
I am going to say this with the best of (and truthful) intentions and not as part of our personal CFL/MLS battle. Substitute MLS for CFL above and you have the exact same thing.

MLS is not the best, not even on this continent, the EPL is the juggernaut that keeps more soccer folk from embracing MLS, with their own brand of snobbery. How then did TFC become successful drawing to the stadium? And why can't the Argos duplicate it? To me both teams face many similar issues.

I just finished reading an article from the late 80s on the death of the CFL. That is what gives me hope. Every single team (save Edmonton) was able to turn around from great adversity, some even dropping out of the league. In a market that size the Argos can find a niche, it would be nice if there was a little help rather than hindrance to go along with it but it is reassuring that MLSE is in for the long term.

The Argos are an iconic brand, one of the oldest in North America, it would be a shame to lose that but some of the stuff I am reading about a slow and steady rebuild gives me confidence. They don't need 6 million fans, just 25K.