View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 12:29 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Have you looked into where that water is going? I'll bet most of it isn't going to people for residential use. Where my place is in Pima County we've been fighting an endless battle with the state and feds to block a new copper mine:

https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/rosemont/

This mine, if built, would, by itself, use up much of the available water that could support future population increases. The argument is, of course, it would employ a couple of hundred people . . . maybe.
Irrigation and mining make up a significant percentage of Arizona's water use, but we're not doing our environment any favors by continuing to build subdivisions in far-flung exurbs. Before the pandemic I used to drive down to Phoenix from Flagstaff at least once a month and the developments spread north from Anthem to New River. I'm hoping it never reached Black Canyon City. When my family moved to Phoenix 23 years ago, Bell Road was practically the dividing line between city and open desert.

Some people in this state cheer for the day when Phoenix and Tucson's metros connect. I'm not one of them.

Last edited by Buckeye Native 001; Aug 20, 2020 at 4:36 AM.