View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Are people aware the California coast is mostly steep elevations? My aunt lives right on the coast (like you can hear sea lions from her kitchen, with the windows closed close) and on clear days she can see Century City from 30 miles away.

Unless we're about to enter Waterworld, I don't think the Pacific is gonna rise 100 ft. Most of the Pacific is accessed via steep grade changes.

Even the Atlantic, at least in the Northeast, has pretty steep elevation rises. You would need Day After Tomorrow-type changes to force a blanket coastal evacuation. And high value RE can be protected via sea walls, which have worked in Netherlands for over a century.

I agree that South Florida is a special case, because there's no elevation and the ground retains water, but I believe they can come up with a solution. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Along the coast, there are still neighborhoods, harbors, etc that are affected by rising ocean levels. Venice and Marina Del Rey will be under water. Long Beach and Terminal Island, San Diego harbor areas. Cities like Stockton and Sacramento are at elevations below 20 feet, and while not on the coast itself, are at risk today from river flooding which could even become tidal flooding as Pacific waters rise. The coast is not just one big cliff statewide.