View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Good find!

I'm not surprised that they are launching in western Canada first. I am surprised that they are only considering Fredericton and Gander (so far) in Atlantic Canada.

On the bright side, if Encore isn't slated for the GMIA (yet), that should mean that the WestJet mainline service to the hub city is safe. Encore could have supplemented the WestJet service to the airport, or could have acted as a replacement service. Currently there is WestJet service from the GMIA to Toronto, Hamilton, Orlando and Cancun (I think).
It seems that they are focusing on markets which they think will avoid competition to their mainline service, and linking back to their hubs. That is why they only looked at Gander in Newfoundland, since that airport is about 4 hours from Deer Lake and 3 hours from St. John's (driving times), Encore would probably fly from Gander to Halifax. I know very little about New Brunswick air travel, so I'm going out on a limb and guessing that a Fredericton Encore service would probably go through Montreal to avoid competing with mainline service from Moncton to Toronto.