View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I found a Sunbeam Theater but this Sunbeam was in Highland Park at 5722 N. Figueroa Street.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=25068

Curiosity about the arroyo-stone column at left in the vintage shot above led me to the corner of S Ave 58 and N Figueroa... the post, which appears to have lettering on it that I can't make out, is presumably part of an entrance to a subdivision. Not surprisingly, it's gone, but I realized that the Sunbeam itself looks to still be there, aside from the criminal replacement of its facade. The sides in the two shots here appear to confirm this, as do some online descriptions of how the interior was carved up. Interestingly, there is a listing for Sunbeam Vintage at a side entrance, 106 S Ave 58 ("A Mid Century Furniture Collective"). A commenter on Cinema Treasures has this to say about the Sunbeam: "The facade of this theater (which looks like an odd hybrid of Spanish Mission and Art Nouveau) may have been removed in 1933. The July 28th issue of Southwest Builder and Contractor of that year says that architect Clifford Balch [a well-known theater architect] was preparing plans for the remodeling of the Sunbeam Theater in Highland Park."

Google

LAPL
Is that the name of a subdivision
under the ball?