View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollistreet View Post
Keih P you have to be joking! If you doubt that Schmidtville is actually an historic area that no one ever heard of until a few years ago, I can only assume that you are 3 or 4 years old. Not only does Schmidtville have houses dating back at least as far as 1814, it is also the first subdivision in Canada dating back to 1830. If we take the attitude that something is not historic because no one talks about it or is not aware of it then maybe Nova Scotia should give up on preserving any heritage structures because the bulk of Canada doesn't know we even exist.
First of all, can the insults. Secodly, pay attention to whom you're responding to -- I did not post the comments about Park Vic and the NSLC; sdm did.

There is no question that Schmidtville as a designated area is a new phenomenon, possibly related to Lyndon Watkins, who is a property owner there. I lived in Park Vic for most of the 1990s, was fairly active around that area, and can assure you that the term Schmidtville had never been heard by me during that time. I first heard it about 3 years ago when the neighborhood suddenly started making noise about how historic it was.

Like others, I have no problem with those 3 blocks being frozen in time. If that's what you want, fill your boots. Just don't try to dictate how the surrounding area gets developed.