View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Nice tour and captions! I drove through Sacramento last summer and spent a little time driving around downtown. I liked the Capitol area and the very distinctive bridge plus enjoyed seeing several 1920's vintage buildings (along J & K Streets). But other wise it was hard to get a good feel for it. Although the tall buildings do vary in design from one another, somehow the Sacramento skyline reminds me of a suburban office area outside Chicago or someplace like Roslyn or Ballston, VA.

Hopefully, someday they can place I-5 in a tunnel so it won't create such a wedge between downtown and the river/Old Sacramento.

I saw the photo with Amtrak--do they run regular commuter-style trains to the Bay Area. I would think that would do well and, if it could be upgraded to bullet-train speed, could attract residents to dwtn Sacramento who work in the Bay Area.
The highrise district west of the Capitol might feel like an office park due to a misguided "urban renewal" crusade in the mid-20th century that wiped out a lot of the city's historic core. The area was reconstructed to be more "modern," including a big shopping mall and office towers along widened roads. That's especially noticeable along the Capitol Mall. The historic urban fabric was fortunately retained in Old Sacramento along the riverfront and the part of downtown north of the Capitol complex, as well as the residential districts around downtown.

And yes, those are Amtrak California's Capitol Corridor commuter trains, which ran 15 round trips each workday, pre-COVID, between Sacramento and the Bay Area.