View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 9:07 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_account12 View Post
Feel the need to push back on the Overwatch pessimism a little bit. I definitely don't agree that its a dead game. I could buy the idea that the current version is a bit "dead" but with the sequel coming out (possibly) next year it is way too early to declare the league or game as dead.

The reason Overwatch was chosen was specifically because of the city based teams format. Blizzard's idea for Overwatch League was to make it as close to the US professional sports model as possible (each team is tied to a city and the plan was to have teams play "home games" in their respective cities). A large part of the reason Comcast bid to be Philly's team owner was to further cement their brand as Philadelphia's main company and to continue their investments in ESports.

Comcast formed the ESports company T1 as joint venture between them and SK Telecom. T1 has teams in those first two games and a ton of others. They (Comcast) also own G4 (the video game tv network) and are one of the investors in N3rd street gaming (and the CEO's son is on N3rd's board). They're making so many investments into this area that I would be very surprised if a stadium does not get built.

It may not end up being "Fusion arena", but just like their ownership of the Wells Fargo Center means they sort of have the large concert/sporting events market cornered, they're almost definitely going to try to do the same to the ESports/medium sized events market with this stadium. In my opinion its way more of a "when" question than an "if".
Ok now I understand, that makes perfect sense, I'm glad to hear we have this level of involvement in gaming in the city thats great!!

It's also good to hear Comcast was investing into this, its of course a no brainer on their end but still a smart move and good for the people who wanna participate in E-Sports.

I havent heard anything about Overwatch in a while I'm more of a Battlefield/Halflife/Tf2/GTA type of guy myself I really don't like the Fortnite type of gameplay but I've played it before.

Also is that was N3RD st is? the gaming & tech area, I was wondering what that street sign meant the other day.