View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 7:34 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
She's a non resident....she isn't foreign.
Well then. I suppose it would be just fine if we had a Prime Minister living in Nigeria. As long as he has Canadian citizenship, everything is cool, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Well, that's nice and all, but yes, you do. Like so many of the first would countries in Europe, Canada is a constitutional monarchy. That's the way things work here.
So, then how exactly do we "serve" the royals? I'm pretty sure nothing I've ever done has served them in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Considering we only exist as a country due to having a loyalty to said monarchy across the ocean I don't think that really counts as being failures.
We exist as a country because what was Canada in 1776 simply didn't want to join the US in rebellion - more likely a case of the situation under the British being comfortable enough vs. an unknown situation with the Americans, than there being any particular loyalty to the British - remember that it was of course a French colony just a few years prior.

(cool story: had it not been for the off-putting behaviour of American Brigadier General David Wooster in Montreal, we likely would be American)