View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 3:22 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Existing tunnels and bridges are relatively narrow, and couldn't accommodate large expansions of walkways/bikeways, without reducing vehicle traffic to one lane in each direction. I wouldn't mind such a scenario, but I doubt it's feasible.

There have been no new bridges or tunnels to Manhattan since the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel was completed. Time for some new roadways, but exclusively bike- and pedestrian-centered.
Removing lanes altogether from the use of private vehicles and/or reconfiguring traffic flow (eg. making some bridges one-way with contraflow, peak lane) is much more likely than building a half-dozen new ped-bike bridges.

The manner in which NYC utilizes streetspace is so wildly inefficient, that I can't help but wonder if people vastly understimate how much space there really is on these bridges.

The tunnels is a bit less of a clear picture, and I could be somewhat persuaded of the need for new trans-Hudson crossings - but it's not exactly an easy thing to do. Still, I can't help but imagine bus (and/or bike) facilities could not be accommodated in tunnels as well.

In any case, virtually no major capital expenses need to be spent to make any major structural changes (besides eventually making changes to any ramps that connect to local streets): it could be done with paint and signage, in the interim.