View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Not a very productive post...

To start with the developer took a huge leap of faith in being able to deal with a very difficult planning department. He retained a very progressive architectural firm to deal with very challenging problems and constraints.

The idea to lift the residential component into the air on steel does in fact open the historic facade to waterfront and the river. It allows the residential units a great view of the area. The idea of using 2x10 side by side for floor and ceiling while an old idea is progressive in this application. All involved in this project are taking huge financial and emotional risks in making it happen and I for one applaud the solution and the individuals involved.

When one has skin in the game they get to call the shots. While forums such as this allow for a wide range of views and opinions, it’s productive for dissenting voices to try and use a more eloquent approach to conveying their view.

I would suggest if you walked the site and area with a more open minded approach your opinion may be tempered somewhat.

You do not project yourself as an architectural critic regardless of your view while using that type of language to describe your position.

You appear frustrated or angry about something other than the design of this project...

I’m just suggesting you work on the delivery of your message if it’s for the benifit of others. If not, perhaps you may be more satisfied with yourself by just scream in the shower.
I wouldn't say that this is exactly a very productive post either......

Why should his opinion of whether he likes the aesthetics of this project take into account the "skin in the game" that some people may have? That makes no sense.

And "projecting as an architectural critic".....give me a break man. That is what the whole point of this forum is. For people to voice their opinions projects, whether they be good or bad. Who are you to judge the validity of someones criticism just because it may not measure up to your held standards of what is valid criticism.

I have walked the site. The bottom line is the project sucks. It's an aesthetic nightmare in terms of its relation to the structure it is imposing itself upon. The space that has been created below the elevated structure feels unwelcoming and somewhere to avoid at night. The floors and floors of stairs exposed to the elements. The whole thing just looks cheap in contrast to the beautiful pump house.

This is another 5468796 project that takes nothing into consideration aside from how "avant garde" and "out there" they can design something without giving any consideration to the overall functionality of the building or those who will ultimately inhabit it.

You appear frustrated or angry about something other than the design of this project based upon your response to some outside criticism...

I’m just suggesting you work on the delivery of your message if it’s for the benefit of others. If not, perhaps you may be more satisfied with yourself by just screaming in the shower. Or holding hands with Sasa while you try and educate us all as to how we should critique architecture.

Side Note - Architecture is inherently a form of art. All art is subjective and open to interpretation by the viewer in order to invoke whatever feelings or emotions it may within them. Sadly this piece of art is not invoking very many good feelings among people on here. Oh well.