View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 7:24 PM

The site planning for Tiger Towns isn't very good, but I can see how they arrived at that. They lined Trumble with townhouses, which I suppose makes sense. The left side of the site plan is the freeway service drive, so it makes sense to turn away from that. But combining it all together you end up with a development dominated by garage doors and driveways. The older perspective image has a better site plan which makes the perpendicular townhouses into something similar to a courtyard apartment right off of Trumble, but the change is how they fit in the 10 extra units.

imo if they had taken a woonerf approach for the north section they could have had both the front entrances and parking accommodated in a central courtyard which would have connected to Trumble. And then each of the units could have also had an enclosed backyard.

But I will complement the development for having the front doors on the street, with each unit having a defined front garden area. Individually maintained front gardens (the different plantings in the site plan seems to indicate this is the intention) is a way in which residents take ownership and express ownership of their home, and the variety of those expressions is something that helps make a place feel like a "place".