View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 6:46 AM

That's a good thing to point to L.A., which has a much smaller skyline than it's MSA/CSA would otherwise indicate. Los Angeles and SLC are very similar in development patterns.

The local culture in SLC is very frugal, and skyscraper rents have always come at a premium, which is a large part of the lack of demand for skyscrapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
This kind of reminds me of those who travel L.A. freeways to visit Disneyland, Hollywood Blvd. and So. Cal beaches, then they return home. Many tourists go on to assume they know everything there is to know about the intimate details of MSA/CSA Los Angeles. No offense to anyone intended, but obviously the comment indicates that factual knowledge about the MSA/CSA of the Wasatch Front needs a little updating. Of course, I totally understand that you should not be expected to have an intimate acquaintance with the SLC CSA. For example, do you understand that I could very easily be a part of the Central MSA of Salt Lake, yet my neighbor across the street is a part of the Southern MSA of Provo-Orem. The same applies for the Northern Ogden/Layton/Clearfield MSA and its connectivity to Salt Lake City. In fact, North Salt Lake, which is just minutes from downtown Salt Lake City is actually a part of the Northern MSA, not the Central MSA. If I lived in North Salt Lake I could easily commute to downtown via bicycle. My former home on the east bench of Salt Lake City, along with tens of thousands of other east bench residents was only 15 minutes from Park City, and even closer to the many mountain villages which surround it, all a part of the micropolitan communities of Heber. Anyway, the point is not to criticize, but just a little refresher update from those who actually live there.

Regarding skylines. In many ways Greater Salt Lake City's CSA is a lot like the Greater Los Angeles CSA when comparing CSA size to skylines. For example, one would think that a city like L.A. with a CSA that is much larger than Chicago would also have a skyline much more impressive, more along the line of New York City. Of course, that hasn't been the case. However, now Los Angeles is finally pushing a downtown buildup that will be far more indicative of it's greater CSA influence. The same applies to Salt Lake City and it's greater CSA. Salt Lake City's downtown is just now beginning to catch up with the burgeoning boomtown atmosphere of its CSA.

Salt Lake's downtown is the cultural, social and business hub of one of the most rapidly developing CSA's in the country. If Downtown's next decade mimics the last two decades, by 2030 it will be not only one of the most vibrant street scenes, but given its backdrop, it will also have one of the most attractive skylines.