View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
From an unbiased outsider who has no horse in this race I see two things:

1. an opinion that phoenix has too much parking and shouldn't have any more.

2. an opinion that phoenix needs parking and people still want it.

I agree with #2. Sorry guys, this city just isn't big enough to be where you want it to be. Building a 200+ unit apartment building with limited or no parking is not in the cards right now, no bank will finance it and no investors are going to fund it. Just because you want it to happen doesn't mean the general population feels the same way.
I have to disagree that Phx needs parking and people still want it. There will always be push back from those who think Phx will never be a car-free city which then creates an unwillingness to give up driving. Now more than ever before are people and developers willing to forgo the car. Not saying everyone feels this way, but it certainly has entered the mainstream consciousness.

Garfield House GPLET (the planned 25-story tower at Garfield and 6th St) will be a 0.65 parked building. The new Social Communities Project (18 story building) on 2nd Ave will have zero resident parking. If these were proposed elsewhere you could argue they would need parking, but where they are now, it’s a step in the right direction.