View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Probably one of the few authentic experiences of childhood in multi family housing posted here.

The rest is mostly over-romanticized notions from a bunch of adults who think cities are far richer places (For children) than they really are.

Truth is, nowadays the suburbs aren’t what they were in 1970. They are diverse (in both viewpoints and ethnicities, unlike center cities which are mostly politically uniform), they offer a vast diversity of experiences, they obviously are more spacious as well. I’m not sure what my kids are losing by not living in Lincoln Square, for example. This is more about making adults happy, I don’t think the kids really care about being able to walk to the local bank, for example.
While I certainly agree that surrounding Children with others that are not like them, will pay off later in life, I sort of have an issue with the mindset of "I want my kid to go to school with lower income kids"; I was the "lower income kid" in my high school "went to high school in Westchester County (commuted an hour everyday from Wash Heights) with a bunch of kids from Rye, NY because NYC HS in my area were complete shit.
15 year old me doesn't like the idea of being a life lesson from some upper middle class kid; I got along just fine with kids in my HS, but it was obvious I was the immigrant city kid (parents are born in Italy). I was certainly motivated in life before HS but spending summers at friends beach house or having friends parents drive me back to Manhattan so I didn't have to take the Train/bus/Train to get home certainly was a extra motivating factor.