View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 4:06 PM

I've been looking at moving out of my apartment lately (not covid related - i just don't care for my current apartment). Looking at apartments has been weird. Most buildings have rules posted about wearing masks in the hallways, only one person allowed in the elevator at a time, etc., and tenants are getting in arguments over breaking of the elevator rule and whatnot. I've even seen plenty of negative reviews of buildings along the lines of, "people are walking around the building without masks and management won't enforce the rules."

In my building, the laundry room poses a problem. I'll walk in with my mask on and the person already in there rolls their eyes and scrambles to put a mask on. Apartment/condo living is uncomfortable to say the least. Man, I want a balcony so bad.

Apartment rents are going down and so are condo prices. Condos are getting stuck on the market for long periods of time. I've also noticed a dramatic increase in listings on Craigslist for condos being rented by the owners. I talked to some owners recently who apparently moved out and are renting it "for now" because they were disappointed with the pathetic offers they got when they tried to sell it.

Prices of single-family homes in the suburbs are skyrocketing. They're often only on the market for a day or two, and out-of-state people are snatching them up sight unseen. surprisingly there have been a fair amount of multifamily proposals submitted lately. Whether they come to fruition we will see.