View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2018, 11:43 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
How did it end up in Jackson Park? Oprah said that was the only proper place for it.

I recently had a chat with someone who, while not in the room himself, knew folks who were. He said that Oprah stood up and told the site selection committee that major Chicago institutions go in parks on the lakefront; nowhere else. Frank Gehry resigned from the committee later that day.
Well, to be fair...

It certainly does seem that many, if not most of Chicago's greatest institutions are located on or near the Lakefront or in a major park. Field, Shedd, MSI, AIC, Adler, Soldier Field (debatable about being a cultural treasure, but whatever), list actually goes on and on... Even the Chicago History Museum is pretty close to the Lakefront, and of course right on the edge of Lincoln Park (speaking of Lincoln Park, how about the Zoo???)

I've never understood what the huge opposition is/was to the Obama Center being located on the edge of Jackson Park. Maybe being an outsider I just don't get it, but it seems to me to be a win-win situation, especially since it would seem that the park would see MORE use as a result of additional visitors to the Presidential Museum.

Ah well, just my $0.02.

Aaron (Glowrock)