View Single Post
Old Posted May 8, 2009, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
When you look at that area in Google Maps, it really isnt that big of a deal area...so it is an island, but it is a very small island. I would rather see a reinvestment happen in the Lloyd District area and leave this area as an "in and out" entertainment venue area. Because the reality of it, is there is very little that can be done to change the Rose Quarter area, especially when you consider the biggest challenges are the two arenas, the amount of tracks that are needs for light rail through that area, then the topography...seriously, the only major change that could happen there is the redevelopment of the PPS site, which will probably happen eventually.

Besides, who would want to live near the Rose Quarter, nothing like dealing with a swarm of people at every event.

The only good an entertainment area would do for this area is allow people to hang around the arena more before and after the games and concerts...which would need to be places that could handle that kind of flux of people.

In comparison, I would be more concerned with the Burnside Bridgehead because that area could have more of an effect with the city.
Paul Allen financed most of the construction of the Rose Quarter, and the only real requirement was that TriMet basically had to run everything through there.

The RQ stop is probably the most connected spot in the city and there's NOTHING there. It's like a dessert island. I can get to the RQ insanely easy from almost any spot in the city, and I have NO reason to go there.

That's what this is about. The underutilization of that space goes beyond just how much space there is.