View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:53 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ fucking HORRIBLE.

and i'm not prone to kneejerk overreaction.

but that's just fucking HORRIBLE.

way to completely shit all over E.D. Stone's design intent.

i pray this never happens, but it sounds like it's a done-deal.
I don't know, Steely. I'm actually not really sure what the enormous issue is about the top couple of floors having some of the stone removed for improved visibility for observatory visitors. Sure, I agree that it does, of course, deviate from the pure monolithic look of Aon in it's current form, but it's only the top 30' or so of a 1000+' tower.

Of course, I'm looking at this as a relative outsider, since I'm not a native Chicagoan. I just don't see why so many people are so upset at these changes.

I guess when I think of HORRIBLE design, this isn't what comes to mind. If Aon were proposed to be reclad in glass or metal, well THAT would be horrible, since it changes everything about the aesthetics. Adding a huge crown would change things dramatically, of course. Making some "relatively" small changes to the top 2 floors isn't an enormous game-changer, at least in my humble opinion, for whatever that's worth.

And besides, the view from up there is absolutely, without a doubt, spectacular!

Aaron (Glowrock)