View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 7:53 PM

Thanks for creating this thread MNMike.

This block is at the confluence of a lot of trends that carry momentum for a larger project. Here's why I think that:

1) The city of Minneapolis has been capitalizing on the trend of people wanting to move into the city by generally favoring larger mixed-use developments along commercial corridors. This is visible in Uptown, the North Loop and Dinkytown (to name a few). Nicollet Mall, on which this site resides, is arguably the city's most important commercial corridor, so it would make sense to encourage a large development to complement the scale of the area.

2) The City of Minneapolis' Comprehensive Plan remarks that the downtown skyline is a source of civic pride and that buildings that complement the skyline in design and scale will be encouraged. Considering the location of the site, it is close enough within the core of downtown to keep the visually tapered height effect from the core outward. (even at 900+ feet).

3) A substantial amount of investment has been/is being pumped into the redesign of Nicollet Mall. This site is located along Nicollet Mall on a block that has high potential to generate a substantial amount of tax revenue. Regardless of the project, the development will likely work in tandem with the redesign and the larger the project, the more potential money (for the city) in the short and long term.

4) There is no historical structure existing on the site. (or any building for that matter).

5) My optimism. (I really want a new tallest in Minneapolis!)

In short, I believe that the larger project has fertile ground to sprout from. But please shoot holes through what I said above (as there are many factors I didn't address).