View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 11:35 PM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Last 2 comments are just crazy: Denver is a great city in its own right but does not remotely exhibit characteristics of either of the formentioned cities.
People have always compared Denver and Colorado to Switzerland. Booming Mountain towns, roof of their respective continents, majority of the population density along corridors (Lake Geneva and the Front Range). And both are at the forefront of scientific research, physics, technological research and space exploration (Boulder, Colorado and Zurich, Switzerland). Anyway, just thought that would be a better comparison than New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
All interesting developments aside, I question whether the speed at which Denver is growing is sustainable. Look out, LA.
That's a good question and legitimate concern. I would think that the massive mass-transit infrastructure built and being built would help to sustain growth for the next decade. beyond that from 2015-2025, to sustain growth, I think increasing the water retainment with a new reservoir and increasing the water infrastructure would be needed. There also needs to be high-speed rail service along the densely populated Front Range of Colorado. There is also a pressing and serious need for a Mag-lev line from Denver along the I-70 corridor to at least Vail.

Overall, I would think the fact that Denver is growing with infill, redevelopment and density in it's urban core accompanied with mass-transit, should bode well for sustainability. And after the last 20-years of population boom, Denver still ranks among the elite in quality of life, health and educated workforce.

Last edited by SnyderBock; Feb 17, 2008 at 11:52 PM.