View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 12:36 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad635 View Post
But some buildings just aren't able to do that because they were designed as objects and not placemakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I completely disagree with the idea that Tokyo has "bad architecture". There is a lot of beauty and good design in it's modern buildings.
I agree.

Firstly, I don't think the stereotypical late 1970s style Japanese modern architecture is actually that bad aesthetically. It tends to have clean lines, muted colors, doesn't stand out too much, and is softened by greenery. When it's ugly that's probably just because it was cheap. It's like the IKEA furniture of buildings.

Secondly, you guys are right. Architecture isn't totally subjective art like sculpture. Function matters and if it's aesthetically distasteful in a profound way*, that might be because it makes humans feel bad for some explainable reason. If it does do that, that would be an obvious symptom of the architect not caring about the human user which predicts all sorts of other problems.

*** I think some buildings are subjectively ugly to some people who are snobs, like early 90s suburban Olive Gardens, but are otherwise harmless. That's not really the same thing as being actively offensive, like a Minsk tower block in winter.

Last edited by llamaorama; Jan 23, 2021 at 12:56 AM.