View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
I'm not even trying to be tinfoily (and I've got reams of tinfoil). There are conflicting views of when the first Chinese patient was identified and they found three with the virus at the beginning of November that didn't even have any connection with that market. That's true. And if 80 percent of the cases tend to be mild, it could have easily started passing through the nw by December. Wuhan is like the Chinese Detroit and Pittsburgh during their golden age so there is lots of technology firm business between there and the west coast
Not crazy logic. Anyway, I'm puzzled as to why this virus is getting so much special attn? You want tinfoil??? Boy I could talk your ear off at this juncture but I'll spare you. Its definitely being politicized like fffkn crazy tho...wash yer hands!!
The virus has definitely been down here in New Orleans since at least Mardi Gras in late February. Lambeth House (retirement home) is the epicenter of our outbreak and site of the first death about two weeks ago. Most of the people that were in the group of initial infections and deaths were very active in the Carnival balls that occurred around Mardi Gras.

Millions of people from all over the world right next to each other for parades meant that community spread was probably going like gangbusters. I wouldn't be shocked if I have already had the virus given that I was at parades and packed into a bar with friends visiting from out of state over that weekend. Three of those friends were sick as a dog for several days upon returning home with what they thought was the flu (San Diego, Nashville, and Myrtle Beach were the cities they flew back to). My boss was in the same boat for several days after Mardi Gras. He had the classic symptoms of COVID-19. Dry cough, high fever, shortness of breath, and little to no energy. Several other co-workers then fell ill in my office over the next week or so. It took everyone a good 5 to 7 days to get over it. God knows how many I potentially transmitted it to over those two weeks after Mardi Gras.

That rampant community spread during Mardi Gras also explains why New Orleans has one of the highest rates of confirmed cases per capita (those who are sick enough to get approved for testing) in the country right now. I would not be shocked if over half the population has already been exposed to the virus and contracted it. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ctors-n1167741

The lockdown in the city started March 14th, and it does appear to be paying off (with data that is likely 5 to 7 days old). The curve has started to flatten out. Hopefully, that trend will continue. https://ready.nola.gov/home/?utm_sou..._medium=banner