View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 7:53 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ham Bound View Post
Is it just me, or did the design of the SSA building change a little bit? I don't recall seeing the glass facade on the previous renderings.

UPDATE: After looking at some previous renderings (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...95485&page=26), it doesn't appear anything has changed except the color of the brick, which is now warmer and darker. For some reason, it changed the entire look of the building to me.
I was curious as to which of the two sets of renderings was the latest one, so I compared the photos I shot a couple of weeks ago (see page 35 of the Birmingham Development News 2006 thread), and it does appear that the ones you posted are indeed the final design. Some of the minor changes I noticed in addition to the change in brick color are:
  1. the zigzag roof over the entryway ends pointing up instead down
  2. the junction of the 2-story base and the tower on the left side is different
  3. the notch in the 2-story base facing 8th Ave N has been altered
  4. the suspended awning on that same side has been removed
  5. the glass seems to be more reflective now
  6. overall, the architectural details seem to have been toned down (I guess it was too avant-garde and not conservative enough for the person or persons who made the final decision)
Items 1 and 2 and the warmer brick can be seen in the aforementioned photos I posted in the other thread.