View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 3:38 PM
Ham-burgher

Looks like we're bound to have at least one new councillor. Collins will be running for the Liberals in the next federal election, and given his name recognition and the Grits traditional strength in that part of the city, I'll be surprised if he does not win.

Coun. Chad Collins running for federal Liberals in Hamilton East—Stoney Creek
Teviah Moro
The Hamilton Spectator
Fri., Aug. 13, 2021

https://www.thespec.com/news/council...ney-creek.html

Coun. Chad Collins is the federal Liberals’ candidate in Hamilton East—Stoney Creek.

The longtime Ward 5 councillor won the candidature by acclamation Thursday.

Collins, who was first elected to council in 1995, hopes to replace outgoing Liberal MP Bob Bratina in the riding.

Collins similarly has been a steady opponent of the McMaster-to-Eastgate Square light-rail line in favour of bus rapid transit and says he won’t change his mind despite the Liberals’ position.

“For me, it’s always about representing my constituents,” he said.

Collins said he “respects the fact” that the Liberals have committed $1.7 billion to the project (the provincial share is $1.7 billion) but it’s up to council to decide how LRT unfolds.

“If someone’s expecting some sort of robot in Ottawa, they haven’t come to the right person in that regard.”

Collins said he’ll carry his “passion” for the housing, transit and infrastructure files to Parliament should be elected.

If an election is called, Collins said he’ll take an unpaid leave of absence, still handling constituency matters but not attending council meetings. Should he win, council can opt to appoint a Ward 5 replacement or hold a byelection.

The next municipal election is October 2022.

full story here