View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 7:31 PM
What could go wrong?

I thought I would re-start this conversation over here as to not litter up the other thread with exclusive Winnipeg only talk......

I often wonder if Winnipeg really has a plan for what our main transportation network will look like when we reach/surpass 1,000,000 people. I am not talking about that Plan2020 document or what ever type of crap document that is that they are not following anyways. I find it hard to believe that in a Province and City that is trying to build and sell itself as a transportation and distribution hub doesn't have ONE single plan for a limited access transportation link.

Why is there no future study to PROPERLY (not the Manitoba way) upgrade Hwy 75 to North American standards of limited access roadway. Where is the study to at least look at a limited access Bishop Grandin, Lagimodiere and Perimeter. Is someone, anywhere even thinking about it. Although I am a proponent of freeways, I do understand their huge costs and realize that Winnipeg is probably OK right now without any. But what is the plan as we continue to grow to one million? Adding the William Clement Parkway and Chief Peguis extensions wont cut it.

Lagimodiere will essentially become un-driveable in it's current state. Can you picture trying to drive down Route 90 with an extra 200,000 people in the CMA?

I have lots of contacts at the City and Province but have never heard of any such talk. I honestly believe that overpasses and interchanges are forbidden concepts at our respective legislatures.

....ehhhh, just a little rant before I attempt to commute home down Lagimodiere.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York