View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 12:19 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I think in another 15 or 20 years we will see much more density in the urban core and the push to expand DT beyond its current boundaries. Times will be different, the city will have matured more and with more people opinions will continue to change. I mean just look at how much has changed since 2000. I think few people here on this forum or the average Austinite would have imagined we would see the kind skyline we have today or the amount of density we have begun to build up.
I agree, the city continues to grow in spite of a majority of its residents wishing it wouldn't. We've seen so many changes approved against fierce opposition, and this momentum is only gaining strength. I have quite a few friends who have a lot of resentment towards the urbanization of Austin, and they are all adapting to the changes, becoming more sanguine about the development of the skyline and the densification in some of the areas outside of downtown. Their views tend to follow rather than lead, but they're all modifying their concept of Austin's identity.

I'd even like to suggest that we're going to see a growing acceptance of increased urbanization that will come about as a result of the death of the old Austin that lives on in people's memories. This has been an awkward city for a couple of decades, transitioning out of its adolescence, but I think it's gotten to a point now where people have a completely new concept of Austin, and it's a concept that embraces 5 million people and a sprawling skyline. In the last few years there have been changes that are harbingers of things to come, laying the foundation of a large, world-class city. We've arrived at a critical mass that can now attract even more capital, innovation, cultural amenities and gravitas. Look at the way Apple, Google, and Oracle are investing here --- it's mind-boggling!

Have a look at this for some perspective on how Austin is seen in the broader context of global cities: http://creativecities.eiu.com/
Excerpt:
"In this special feature, The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) showcases five forward-looking cities—Austin, Berlin, Mexico City, Mumbai and Seoul—each with a distinctly vibrant creative economy that produces cultural goods and services in fields such as art, media and music."

The forces of change are gaining momentum and the forces of resistance are just about what is needed in order to moderate the growth and keep it from overwhelming the region's capacity to handle it.

[edit: I just happened to look up at the name of this thread and realized I'm probably way off topic, but oh well...]