View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Good points.

It's not realistic today; we would need a new arena and a larger population with more businesses.

Some of us are thinking in 15 to 30 years from now it might be more realistic. We'll just have to wait and see.

No one is expecting Halifax to get a team tomorrow.
I would agree with that. I can see 15-30 years as realistic, depending on growth trajectories and how well such growth is sustained there.

That said, it starts with a potential owner though.

For instance, Winnipeg and Quebec City were always capable of having teams. At the time the Jets 1.0 and Nordiques relocated, the main issues were independent of market support, specifically, and more interwoven with ownership issues (no one was able to afford to own either franchise, or no new owner was interested in owning a team in either market), which extended to issues with the arenas. Edmonton was about the same size as Winnipeg & Quebec City in the mid 90's, for example, and were minutes aware from moving to Houston, but an ownership group came together at the last minute and saved the franchise.

For Halifax corporate business/sponsorships and population are only one side of the coin; the other side is all how the team-based business would be run, and that starts with a viable owner and a viable arena; so even if in 30 years Halifax has the larger population and enough businesses to sustain a franchise, will it have an NHL-level arena and a willing owner? That is the important part.

My personal hesitation with an arena would be Halifax's (numerous city councils) lack of vision where 30 years ago to today the issue of even a CFL football stadium has not changed. I'm sure most citizens would agree with that side of the coin. That said, I do not live there so I cannot say I am more in tune with those going-ons than any of you guys, but I would assume that majority of you guys would wish there would be both a new arena and a new stadium